一、单选题（共 40 道试题，共 100 分。）V 1. The “mighty line” refers to
A. the poems of Spenser
B. the blank verse of Marlowe
C. the poem of Milton
D. the blank verse of Shakespeare
2. Dubliners is writing of
C. stream of consciousness
D. none of the above
3. Chinese–American Literature can be defined as literature by and about ______ in America .
A. Chinese immigrants
B. Chinese students
C. Asian immigrants
4. Dryen’s contribution to England literature lies in the following except
A. he established the heroic couplet as one of the principal English verse forms
B. he clarified the English prose
C. he raised the English literary criticism to a new level
D. he raised English comedy to a higher level
5. Frost took a ______ style in his poetry .
6. Mr. Spectator stands for the ideas of
A. the 16th century
B. 17th century
C. the 18th century
D. the19th century
7. Which of the following works marks the beginning of real American Literature ?
A. Leaves of Grass
B. The Sketch Book
8. In his masterpieces ______ , Pound traces the rise and fall of eastern and western empires and the moral and social chaos of the modern world .
A. Make It New
B. The Cantos
C. Polite Essays
9. The lake poets include all the following members except the author of the following work
A. The Prelude
B. Don Juan
C. The Ancient Mariner
D. Joan of Arc
10. Milton was nicknamed “the lady of Christ’s” because he was
A. a lady
B. as serious as a lady
C. as handsome as a lady
D. as gentle as a lady
11. ______ makes the climax of O‘Neill‘s literary career and the coming of age of American drama .
A. The Hairy Ape
B. Long Day‘s Journey into Night
C. The Iceman Cometh
12. Who first used the term ‘‘ Beat Generation ‘‘ ?
13. Howells , Henry James and Mark Twain are representatives of American ______ .
14. Sir Gawain and Green Knight was created by
D. None of the above
15. _______ believe that nature is ennobling and that the individual is important .
16. Of the following writers , who wrote the critical essay On Poetry and Poets ?
17. Hardy started as a poet and ended as a
18. Le More D’ Arthur is an important landmark in the development of English prose for its
A. lucid style
B. verbose style
C. complicate style
D. ornate style
19. The Rape of the Lock gives an account of a
A. bull fighting
B. knight duel
C. writer’s life
D. anecdote of the court
20. The one who tempts Eve to eat an apple from the forbidden tree is
21. Black humor refers to the use of the morbid and the absurd for darkly _____ purposes .
22. Toni Morrison is the first and the only American black writer to become ______ .
A. poet laureate
B. Nobel Prize winner
C. Pulitzer Prize winner
23. The Idylls of the King is written by
C. George Eliot
24. Of the following all were written by Amy Tan except ______ .
A. The Joy Luck Club
B. The Kitchen God‘s Wife
C. China Men
25. _______ first collection of short stories is Tales of the Grotesque and Arabesque .
26. The following are all Steinbeck‘s works except ______ .
A. Winesburg , Ohio
B. Of Mice and Men
C. Grapes of Wrath
27. The realists of the 18th century and those of the 19th century have the following in common except both of them
A. use the form of novel fully
B. present social and political events in details
C. indicate the broad social conflicts
D. describe the fate of individuals and of social classes
28. The first novel of Thomas Pynchon is ______ .
B. The Crying of Lot 49
29. Of the following poems , which is written by Poe ?
A. The Day of Doom
B. To Helen
C. To a Waterfowl
30. After WWⅠ, many disillusioned American writers and artists left for Paris and formed a small community . They were ______ .
31. One of the following events played an important part in Chaucer’s writing:
A. his marriage with a girl of noble family
B. his visit to Italy
C. his duty as a controller of the Customs
D. his participation in the Hundred Years’ War
32. “The history of the world is the biography of the great men” can sum up the book
A. Heroes and Hero-worship
B. The French Revolution
C. A Modern Comedy
D. Life of Schiller
33. For quite sometime after its appearance , Catch–22 was seen as a structural ______ despite its narrative power .
34. The plot of ______ is divided into three parts.
A. Native Son
B. Invisible Man
C. Song of Solomon
35. All the characters appear in Sons and Lovers except
36. Beowulf is a national epic of
37. ______ is often acclaimed literary spokesman of the Jazz Age .
38. Romanticism extended from 1798 when Lyrical Ballads was published and in 1832 when
A. Austen died
B. Wordsworth died
C. Scott died
D. Shelley died
39. Metaphysical Poetry is characterized by fantastical
40. Which is the movement that was popular in 1970s?
A. Women‘s Liberation Movement
B. Civil Rights Movement
C. McCarthy Era