奥鹏作业答案-谋学网-专业的奥鹏在线作业答案辅导网【官网】

找回密码
 会员注册

微信登录,扫一扫

手机号码,快捷登录

VIP会员,3年作业免费下 !奥鹏作业,奥鹏毕业论文检测新手作业下载教程,充值问题没有找到答案,请在此处留言!
2022年5月最新全国统考资料投诉建议,加盟合作!点击这里给我发消息 点击这里给我发消息
奥鹏课程积分软件(2021年最新)
查看: 3865|回复: 0

吉大11春学期《新视野英语(二)》复习题

[复制链接]
发表于 2011-8-2 16:40:53 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
谋学网
吉大11春学期《新视野英语(二)》复习
4 a( t% |, A6 i" {  k2 n% j* O9 v% [. A; |
Ⅰ. Vocabulary and Structure3 f2 g6 w/ y) K) L' b; r; M
1. There is a(n) ______ lack of water in the northern part of the country, because there has been almost no rain since last February.* t! i/ g+ b2 `+ c9 I
        A. accurate                        B. cute                        C. intense                                D. acute
% S  c9 @& j# n2. He cannot go without wine even for one day; he is a complete slave ______ drink.
+ E  W4 [% ]8 W& g7 f- A' J        A. for                                B. to                                C. in                                        D. on! B$ r& N+ x. }5 s
3. Have you read a newspaper report probing ______ the activities of drug dealers?! t! p0 b7 G- e. [' }" L
        A. into                                 B. from                        C. by                                D. with
& x- q) y4 ]3 W. Z: w4. She invented a _____ that automatically closes windows when it rains.
, N4 d0 C0 ^' f- K! F' O          A. advice                                B. derive                        C. supervise                        D. device
3 G3 b( e. S0 H& O  w% D5. From then on, I was committed ______ losing the weight and getting into shape.
% f. I8 t# ]+ D8 v' D# ?* \        A. to                                B. in                                C. on                                D. at
( i+ X& {: \/ ^( ^: a6. He ran ______ twice from his boarding school because he couldn’t put up with being limited in an institution.! L# M0 z$ M. C) `
        A. in                                B. over                        C. away                                D. down
+ q1 o4 ?/ P1 @- X& e  ^7. Bicycling is a good exercise; ______, it doesn’t pollute the air.! z: C; z# w9 U, Z
        A. however                        B. therefore                C. moreover                        D. though
, L0 i$ G  R: h8. Recent events will make a significant impact ______ government policy.1 m: V% R; m) H6 A3 o
        A. to                                B. in                                C. with                                D. on% T% t. c, C' N2 Z
9. The editor told them that if they could cut the story _____ more than one third, he would take it.
- ]  P6 u. _8 O) z          A. in                                B. off                        C. down                                D. across8 I- L- C! H5 h. l. d8 n
10. The river was so ______ with waste from the chemical plant that people can not swim in it.
5 K- i% @" B* \- u        A. contained                        B. terminated                C. intimidated                        D. contaminated! Z" s# b6 ?& b) R1 h' o4 w8 x8 Y
11. Upon arriving in New York he converted all his pounds ______ dollars.
* \7 f0 ]# O3 A        A. for                                B. into                        C. with                                D. from
# ~4 q/ `3 \; q" H12. We hoped to be able to move into our new house at the end of the month, but things did not work _____ as we had expected.& G9 ~* v; }# v
A. for                                B. out                        C. in                                        D. on, \) `- E9 k4 \# m9 L1 n
13. Why didn’t you give your mind to it and manage to cure her _____?0 q& D7 ], @: z; w+ _; G
          A. somewhat                        B. somewhere                C. somehow                        D. someway
3 R8 _4 c- W" u- N  g& ~$ ^; @) S14. _____ your letter, I am very pleased to inform you that your plans are quite acceptable to us.
& Q1 U: U- `1 f* A, {& `- k3 M          A. Concerning                        B. Concern                C. Regarded                        D. Regard. M/ a% G! b' X4 D! G2 i
15. The teacher asked a difficult question, but finally Ted _____ a good answer.
" O! i# c! Q- l0 ~( p1 z0 P- i          A. put up with                 B. came up with        C. kept up with                D. went up with6 F+ i3 E- m; U1 j. `% E) R
16. Children should be encouraged to reach a ______ between what they want and what others want.
: @+ x6 B7 p% }. p        A. promise                        B. compromise        C. compose                        D. consist
! E; M. q, G8 _17. The man and his friend were supportive ______ one another at that critical moment.
8 h, D& L- Z& p3 ?1 l        A. in                                B. on                        C. at                                        D. of
. g6 k% e, @8 G3 K% n+ r$ j# i18. The news soon spread _____ that the examination results were ready.
2 e3 \5 t, e' k" s7 l6 h          A. abroad                                B. aboard                        C. board                                D. broad
2 L3 Y& K$ r3 N8 Q, m4 |19. In the evenings we smoked and talked and never dreamt _____ going out except for exercises.
9 Q) q, @1 F+ T          A. with                                B. to                                C. of                                D. at
* Q, v% v1 \8 L! M3 N% |; e20. Jean felt unable to cope _____ driving in heavy traffic after her accident./ |* z9 y: I: q" b9 l6 e8 E
          A. up                                B. at                                C. of                                D. with
1 n( A# b& \0 {21. Since Bob fell ill, the family has had to live ______ what his wife earns.0 t* l0 T+ v& [, [
        A. in                                B. away                        C. on                                D. out, i, {* S6 n/ X- w
22. If no one has any ______, I’ll declare the meeting closed.. B; ~7 G7 J3 P& A
        A. object                                B. subject                        C. objection                        D. subjection8 K6 ~3 b7 c3 {; n
23. The girl found it difficult to ______ to new customs when she first came to Shanghai.4 m' q  w, n  C; ?
        A. adapt                                B. adopt                        C. change                                D. shift+ ~# u" o# j! W& g/ @, C" Z
24. She called her parents just to tell them that she had become ______ to life at the university.5 O' K- `9 a7 G0 o+ B
        A. accumulated                B. accustomed                C. absorbed                        D. changed8 \: w; L" m: d4 m" y- n. ^
25. He has picked ______ some bad habits at that club.$ J8 E  x' |* g, p# x
        A. at                                        B. out                        C. on                                D. up
( A' v" k1 L  Q26. He was a cruel and ______ person; that was why all of them were afraid of him.* B! V; \7 E5 F/ u2 ]1 d/ y, I
        A. insensitive                        B. sensitive                C. sentimental                        D. sensible  f5 b% y, X. f9 }
27. He showed ______ in dealing with a defeated enemy.* f8 e2 j* ]0 I! s
        A. generous                        B. generosity                C. generate                        D. generation
+ X5 N' N2 h0 A6 _5 W0 C$ ~/ N( U1 ~28. His training ______ him as a teacher of English.
- O4 |% I. ?! n  ?& t2 D! K- b        A. qualify                        B. quality                        C. qualifies                        D. quantity! w- I% u' g6 c6 Z* ?: j% r% b
29. John and James are brothers. The former is a teacher, the ______ is an engineer.4 N. t  n& z, H+ i
        A. later                                B. late                        C. latter                                D. latest) P$ k4 g7 J) i* t* w, V' e# J7 L
30. The new project is expected to start early next year; it has won the ______ of the board.
8 i& y8 O  s) m5 l  P        A. approval                        B. approve                C. disapprove                        D. prove/ X" S% w. q8 X4 u0 ?& s( h
31. Though you failed in this job interview, you should trust yourself. It’s sad that one lacks ______ in himself.
* N3 d( O9 o3 q( B5 h+ h- G4 h         A. belief                                B. patience                C. respect                                D. confidence
7 G9 h9 l0 f) K3 l  I, h" H32. In order to improve people’s living standard, we should attach first importance ______ the development of the economy.
6 F' r! c1 q( R) s$ u9 Z+ l- b        A. on                                B. for                        C. to                                        D. at+ ~6 m2 j# w' j. p* [+ y
33. When the sun comes out the flowers ______ by opening wide." @! i. c" q" E  g0 f0 x8 R
        A. act                                B. react                        C. interact                        D. active) `( x' A1 z0 Q1 ]' n
34. When he is asked the secrets of his success, he always attributes it _____ his hard work.& M- ], Q/ |7 i- d" Z( |7 H+ M) _
        A. in                                B. on                        C. to                                        D. at& p4 c. E- c9 y
35. We might cut the book ______ to a little over a hundred pages.8 {/ z8 P, f1 Y' {, Y: D( r0 ?" X
        A. away                                B. out                        C. over                                D. down
9 R2 I  V! z6 |, i# q36. He talks to his best friends to find an ______ for his anger.4 a% z3 E7 p+ q3 l% a# N
        A. outlet                                B. entrance                C. exit                                D. door( d$ g6 H+ p9 p+ [
37. I’m ______ your endless complaining.# i1 k5 U& `& i4 S. G, q
        A. put up with                        B. caught up with        C. fed up with                        D. kept up with
! w# B/ {  _5 v) J, \" B, V4 n38. Charles is fond ______ driving, so I’m happy just to be a passenger." P. X  @/ a1 S1 U
        A. in                                B. on                        C. to                                        D. of
3 R6 P1 J1 t# a# v, j; O39. To be financially well ______, you need to work hard and spare no efforts to develop your career when young.
4 c8 R+ Y$ `* S8 ]6 j1 Y3 g) |# R0 w        A. away                                B. off                        C. up                                D. out
# R4 U! A; ?* F- T& C- U40. Put the medicine ______ children’s reach. It can be very dangerous." K: n, Y/ g7 ^, _+ `: {
        A. within                                B. beyond                C. without                        D. for. }3 L; \: g% ]8 ?  t8 ^) s1 b! m3 n( t
41. We must see ______ it that all children are well taken care and all nurses have a strong sense of responsibility.
& e7 [* |& P# Z  {        A. to                                B. into                        C. on                                D. onto
0 H5 W. a, @5 o# d' ~42. The 12-year-old boy’s goal is to specialize ______ Western history in the future.
4 x! U5 U, U/ F# z# o( U        A. on                                B. to                                C. in                                        D. at3 E& q' D/ C2 m  k! J
43. I smiled a smile that was ______ to signify interest in this excursion.
# g9 ?3 ~. ^9 X. C) W* S        A. supposed                        B. imposed                C. composed                        D. exposed, k% c6 A8 I+ T3 u4 \
44. The World Trade Center was destroyed on September 11, 2001, when ______ took over two large airplanes and drove them into the buildings.
$ q. N$ j6 P; s) x        A. terror                                B. terrorists                C. terrorism                        D. terrorize% K& h0 c- G2 G+ @/ k) j7 b& @' F
45. More than 10,000,000 permanent immigrants have been admitted legally ______ the United States since the 1960s.- G. Y8 T- S) w$ a# l
        A. in                                B. with                        C. to                                        D. on
0 G2 a) z9 |$ v- H2 w$ P46. The company planned to introduce new technology ______ the expense of the existing workers.4 ]' E8 i3 Y4 w' u) p# U" w4 G- I5 @( w
        A. in                                B. at                                C. with                                D. on
7 O2 p1 N. L$ t2 w/ u47. I only bought these shoes last week, and they’re falling ______ already.# M4 c1 b- x! R* c8 r& k0 S% i
        A. down                                B. away                        C. out                                D. apart: H3 V0 {) i6 {2 @0 `7 z( f6 D
48. The doctor should be here soon. ______ the meantime, try to relax.* p: m. z( p! G8 f
        A. At                                B. On                        C. In                                D. From
4 h& B) Z+ ~) F0 T49. Thieves had broken ______ while we were away on holidays.
' `4 c+ g. I& E( \2 u7 i( b        A. down                                B. in                                C. off                                D. out3 ?; O, k9 k- b$ J+ I* P4 k3 }
50. At first ______, Manhattan seems to be a city of high-rises, blinding lights and a crazy pace." B, b4 J9 Y  y4 Y, c( T+ y& j; m
        A. glare                                B. stare                        C. grace                                D. glance
* S, y: \2 h& Q& o6 ]51. They will fight to the end; they will never ______., L% j" n: E8 y3 o7 O! T; Y& @% N
        A. survive                        B. surrender                C. render                                D. succeed
0 S8 o( w  R" t52. The soldiers showed great joy and satisfaction after winning the final triumph ______ their enemies.! F4 z2 m/ R2 M
        A. over                                B. out                        C. from                                D. of
& h2 l, }2 G: s) O: \53. A complete investigation into the causes of the accident should lead to improved standards and should ____ new operating procedures.
6 ]: c% l$ E' n) t9 c% R0 f4 J    A. result in                    B. match with   C. subject to                    D. proceed with# V) {$ h6 L) S* C6 A2 t
54. The government has devoted a larger slice of its national ____ to agriculture than most other countries.
' h3 K3 T  F5 Y0 Q           A. resources                      B. potential           C. budget                       D. economy/ Y2 e+ {1 a9 p! r
55. The ____ of last week’s examination is not announced yet.
- H1 z/ |% ^0 F) q/ f0 V    A. result                       B. consequences         C. effect                      D. conclusion
* v  v% y& \7 b6 P  v7 @! u6 L56. They tried to ___ hard plastics for metals in manufacturing machine parts.
" w+ r& F* z" i% CA. replace                B. substitute                 C. take the place of    D. give way to
7 C9 F2 |$ ^$ e; G& ]57. Using the right hand to shake hands is a(n) ____.
' L" F( O$ u% g% n5 m* M* e         A. convention                     B. inheritance    C. tradition                 D. habit
- M. f# [( M7 ?) @58. Scientists study the ___ between parents and their babies to better understand how infants learn. 7 k1 H8 B2 [6 f2 {/ m8 X
A. interchange             B. interrelation          C. intercourse             D. interaction
7 {+ h) F- H( G; n. w# ~* W2 D) E: K59. I’d ___ his reputation with other farmers and business people in the community, and then make a decision about whether or not to approve a loan.
, w$ B  _3 C: u  Z0 I         A. take into account           B. account for                C. make up for                   D. make out
4 K& d. U; {( r# [& D$ z. T* b% |60. A long-term study ___ by the medical school shows that babies of smoking mothers will be less healthy than those of nonsmoking mothers.   o) t% ]  O1 a( c4 @4 F
A. performed                 B. undergone           C. managed                     D. conducted
9 U( Q/ H/ o. t- G61. I rang the hotel to ____ a double room for a week.
- G; v* ?. Y1 k/ M1 J. y        A. reserve                        B. conserve                C. preserve                        D. deserve
( P' R" _2 h  c. A) `62. The coastline has been hit by a ___ of violent storms. 4 \! h2 V! c' r/ m: m  X
        A. serial                                B. series                        C. sector                                D. segment1 w* Y5 O2 u/ G( ^+ @# X
63. He burns a(n) ___ to win a fame. # \9 _2 N& P1 v% w( t( S1 G  \
        A. emotion                        B. sensation                C. ambition                        D. indignation( D* L1 P) L" k0 }2 {/ N! [( X
64. Many doctors ___ upon a diet which contains a lot of fat.
1 x, P  i9 n3 R% L; R% F% s        A. frown                                B. crown                        C. drown                                D. brown
, h; [  `' h( B. r65. Computer Science is an ________ subject for law students at our university.
& E5 w5 j$ \  R* |: S        A. open                                B. option                        C. optical                         D. optional/ m$ o$ t& A1 [
66. London is one of the important ________ centers of the world.' i7 F: D; G1 L# A1 ]8 `
        A. economy                        B. financial                C. finance                        D. economical
5 l7 A$ q; b3 G$ w67. Pupils who pass the test will be ______  to the next grade.
; P2 ?# r; i- h' [8 u2 f1 L           A. promoted                  B. proceeded          C. progressed                    D. projected
) X- `/ h& M3 b$ B6 {6 ^) J68. Our company decided to ______  the contract because a number of the conditions in it had not  been met. 0 w8 y# S: L# s) i4 ?
           A. cancel                       B. resist                C. assume                      D. destroy% k; j8 D1 J1 g6 n! J4 \
69. New York is ______  second in the production of apples, producing 850,000,000 pounds this year. $ C" |0 ?0 s1 Y2 i1 i3 R
           A. placed                      B. occupied                  C. arranged                    D. classified8 X9 G& z* P9 g" ^
70. Knowing something as a whole is far from knowing all its ______ .
9 a( [1 u! c- v           A. instance                      B. character                C. items                        D. details0 R  I) y# P0 x$ a0 F. z1 c' n
71. He was ______  of having asked such a silly question.
. _" \& I0 M+ I9 iA. sorry                            B. guilty              C. ashamed                  D. miserable
4 K% W. N0 t1 E3 K  i72. ______  emergencies I have found it easier not to expect any help from the other people.
8 }( ^) P, h# g4 U) [9 G          A. Besides                     B. Except for                C. Rather  than             D. Instead of
" u* G0 U: b3 h: o73. I have been ______  with that company for several years. / h4 z  D/ _  `% K$ L
           A. supplying               B. treating                  C. concerning                D. dealing
8 r& g2 O; s% s$ {& m* ?* P2 w74. I am sorry I ______  your glasses off the desk  when I was wiping it. 3 H7 {- z7 r) [1 I9 }* [
           A. drew                  B. hit                       C. struck                 D. knocked
9 \# C/ [' D  c& Z, s; H75.Some old people don’t like pop songs because  they can’t ______  so much noise. 9 W* E# U& j- A0 {1 l! R6 {& w  P
           A. resist                            B. intend                  C. tolerate                           D. hurt  O3 f* S/ ]! }! r2 z
76. Lawyers _____ such high fees, but they never seem to be short of clients.
( T' y* q4 o4 ]& L  a8 D9 }( |        A. provide                        B. supply                        C. accuse                                D. charge3 o! K( c0 P0 H, Y; T1 m
77. Don’t _____ at others in any situation no matter how angry you are. 2 C& m- U4 m+ x& l+ p
        A. swear                                B. look                        C. punish                                D. beat0 G# o( S! X3 _4 }
78. I firmly believe that this agreement will be for our _____ benefit.
# \  r1 M7 S7 E1 t2 B) `        A. cultural                        B. natural                        C. mutual                                D. social
9 ], L2 X$ }7 Y& ^: s( E79. If we take all the factors into ccount, his chances of winning the election were _____.6 P) V3 s1 i1 G; m4 {# W% n5 [
        A. thin                                B. fat                        C. slim                                D. large
) I4 Z, J( D. T3 t80. I would be _____ if you would mail this package for me. 3 I/ t1 Q" n+ l# C: A
        A. careful                                B. grateful                C. thoughful                        D. respectful
) u" a7 ~% t8 ~5 P5 }" v! Z9 e. h8 t& o81. The actor’s performance in Hamlet has been _____.
4 o8 |3 z" T- _: N  B/ S" R        A. expressive                        B. depressive                C. impressive                        D. repressive. F# M- S; \! s$ u  H% E  L
82. She _____ her broken marriage to her husband’s short temper.
/ X: s. {, A) b4 U& G        A. attributed                        B. contributed                C. distributed                        D. tribute/ ]/ }: X) I9 S+ C% Y! {
83. A tiny baby soon learns to _____ its mother’s face from other adults’ faces. - T. ?0 ^1 t3 X0 C
        A. extinguish                        B. distinguish                C. understand                        D. realize8 X, O' o& f6 D4 z: S
84. The pretty young girl became a(n) _____ family member after she married a prince of a small European nation.
7 X, W# D4 o  s+ Q  k' W, \                A. local                                B. legal                        C. loyal                                 D. royal9 H+ f& `) n/ M/ d
85. It is understandable that he has stopped offering to help her, since he has had so many _____.% X. Y, f3 e/ @
                A. subjections                 B. objections                C. rejections                        D. ejections
& [+ D3 H0 ?5 V4 S  B$ b86. At the conference, he was careful to _____ the possible disadvantages of the new system. - \. {1 ~  |3 D" Y; u4 o- a
                A. start out                        B. point out                C. give out                        D. turn out# J5 t  m- C1 W$ Y
87. It was on this day that he met _____ an accident that was to shape the rest of his life.
1 A8 x0 H1 x' C% |# U                A. with                                B. to                                C. at                                        D. in3 ?3 w( m6 D! T
88. I could see tha branches of the trees moving _____ in the gentle wind.
4 Z2 ]4 E6 t9 T7 L: O7 S% f- P        A. ups and downs                B. off and on                C. east and west                D. back and forth9 ^' m5 g7 l' D. H' ]9 P
89. Working too hard, coupled_____ not getting enough sleep, made his ill. ; r3 H/ o. g. y, I
        A. to                                B. by                        C. in                                        D. with6 Y/ q& H' ^. h& f1 h, w3 U/ n
90. _____ her beauty, she is also intelligent and kind-hearted. " S" a" g5 W3 W9 i
        A. Except                                B. Except for                C. In addition                        D. Apart from
, r) d" B% `0 S& Q4 S91. I have not heard anything from him since his ______.
' A/ {' |9 m+ [: M/ U$ t           A. departure                     B. fault                   C. foundation                     D. acceptance  j  y: `4 L1 {1 }
92. As a chairman for nearly ten years, Professor Smith has never _______ to anything.- D3 ?( R( G* w3 m& D
           A. beard                       B. attached              C. granted                       D. kept# }0 ~+ |2 q9 Y- q
93. These programs are designed for those young people who want to _______ higher education but do not have enough time to go to university.
: b( V& E( \; Q0 r+ B8 GA. insure                       B .purse         C. purchase               D. pursue
" I3 N3 K0 R# S5 P; I/ v, N8 Y3 }, o. T94. Since he often travels on business, he can _______himself to sleeping in any place he can find.
7 ]0 L: [; Z6 J( F    A. make                        B. accustom            C. force                         D. let
9 |, _# X$ z5 `, \7 c' B, |' w95. Much of the news provided by this newspaper is _______, not foreign.
' U8 ]6 Y* R1 r  A- G; G. Z           A. domestic                      B. strain               C. purchase                      D. murder
. r. X7 U/ \7 E( K! [96. Even though he has lived in China for many years, Mark still can not _______ himself to the Chinese customs.
9 I. L5 P0 O" B) d* P+ ]+ \           A. adopt                         B. advertise             C. adapt                         D. accept
' c6 m$ ~8 E  E  [/ Q  F2 j97. During these ten years, many new methods have been _______ in the field of foreign language teaching.  2 @: r6 Y( X* @, ]3 _
           A. adopted                      B. adapted              C. alarmed                      D. aided8 F$ [( Y2 {3 A" @( E) P
98. The _______ is nearly dead , so I can not start the car again.
4 h0 y! r. m  a. P/ p           A. bean                  B. beam                C. bake                  D. battery' s1 K& T: t( Y0 h! u
99. Alan is a good football player and never breaks _______.
( @' R) n0 u: ^A. legal                   B. regulations                C. limitation                D. agreement. J  V  \  ^( v
100. The dog _______ the rabbit but could not catch it.
0 k  |& @- z1 ]   A. ceased                        B. chained                C. checked                     D. chased / C" x6 v. k8 q& P7 M
101. Few of the students understand why language is _______ to human beings. 7 s, K2 q: q- d! i4 J
           A. aware                         B. unique                 C. absolute                         D. continual 0 O4 S: L8 `: R: N7 q0 D
102. The method he used turned out to be _______ in improving the students' English.
0 P3 O( i# H. }* Y9 d& B6 e           A. effective                         B. able                         C. capable                         D. explicit
% m, G0 D& V, J* @/ s1 Z! Q- W$ v103. The boss refused to give any _______ on the fact that his workers were out of jobs.
1 P: ~' l, Y$ Y" ]. R, I           A. response                         B. comment                 C. answer                         D. reply - U3 ~% ^. c: R: P
104. The police searched the city in an effort to catch the man who ______ murder last week. 2 H. Z. g* |! }) A% t* w/ c
           A. limited                         B. made                         C. did                                 D. committed
1 f3 p* D+ M+ b2 D- Z" q( x105. They had to examine the dead tiger before they had a _______ answer as to who killed it. ) A! E* h# \4 n2 _# `0 E
           A. positive                         B. senior                 C. virtual                         D. vital 7 j8 N; @% s6 a% g, t7 X. ^- u
106. He could be ________ about everything else in the world, but not about Manet, his loving child. 4 v2 t) q$ s" b3 U+ U' m8 `) g
           A. visual                         B. critical                 C. favorite                         D. essential 5 F' M: ^1 B+ k' m/ e" J% ?0 m% t
107. Measures had to be taken in face of the housing problem that ________ in the city. ( }* c+ D+ m/ F0 j
           A. rose                                 B. raised                 C. arose                                 D. produced 0 D- K  D; D8 p, ~+ t- L
108. By the side of the new teaching hall _________ , built in the 1930s. " d8 n8 d% `( U. [7 J
           A. there stands a library                                 B. stands a library
: n9 y5 o( P6 V/ a, V$ o           C. a library stands                                                 D. does a library stand
0 s4 ^( F& @# v$ ]1 G3 _109. What a ________ smell! Open the window and air the room. 8 C$ y0 J1 J+ m' k' w% I1 J( S  r* D
           A. disgusting                         B. pleasing                 C. powerful                         D. disturbing
$ S; q0 h5 f) M/ P' H110. The story he is telling is so ________ that some of the listeners begin to ask him to stop. & ]$ K9 L- v6 r% c, v
           A. pleasant                         B. horrible                 C. healthy                         D. exciting - I! I# o- |& c" j' l8 ?
111. That Sandy wears ________ makeup annoys her mother.
% j5 H5 @3 P. C+ ^, E* p8 @           A. very much                         B. very                         C. that much                         D. so ' O3 ]- E! I" f2 Q& a
112. She was putting on her jeans ________ me to hand her the sweater.
4 H  F. e' Y# U% `6 `  N* `           A. while asked                 B. asked                         C. asking                         D. while asking   v* L) h7 e& L" @2 J* g
113. No matter what you say, I'm coming ________. + i) ~9 X$ g% j2 j5 S
           A. anyway                         B. any way                 C. in a way                         D. in the way
: i6 v. B" o4 X, t0 ]) g114. It rains one minute and shines the next. What ________ weather! ' ?- W) j- B$ A
           A. fine                                 B. awful                         C. radical                         D. tuneless
. `0 N+ i3 L$ W/ F3 u5 z115. I got a little ________ when I learned that the appointment with the general manager was changed to another time.
9 f2 a+ [& J2 `& |( [4 m           A. concerned                         B. distracted                 C. upset                                 D. awful
& [$ m/ `( E; J9 _116. Mother dropped the glass ________ she was standing up from her seat.
$ @$ z2 Q. z8 @, D) o           A. and                                 B. but                         C. so                                 D. as
6 q4 M& O# |& b+ ?# X, e5 o7 U! N117. Our neighbour said that if we made more noise he would _________ us to the police. 5 `) V9 P/ g* q3 g' m
        A. inform of                         B. complain about         C. report to                         D. care for
$ Q* y& X1 d0 v118. She _______ him to help her to find answers to her problems. ! I+ F0 B, {2 b( p  l* Z! l5 k/ s
          A. learned from                 B. came into                 C. leaned on                         D. looked at
+ Z0 x4 g6 ]2 b# ^119. Nobody knows __________ how many people are to be blame for the coal-mine accident, so the government is trying to find out the whole truth about the accident.   H- G( F+ C4 b0 l" x% P' F) T
        A. inwardly                         B. honestly                 C. cleverly                         D. precisely
# B5 i# W0 ]4 f" J: D120. People working in the government should not ____________ business affairs that might change their political judgement.
8 h% @* ?5 F9 ^9 x/ E0 n          A. engage in                        B. hope for                 C. choose between         D. pick on % U" |  m* R, I' x# S
121. The large wings of that bird __________ it to fly very high and fast. 2 N9 B; L3 F5 b$ g/ \$ C' j
A. make                          B. enable                 C. force                                 D. realize ; E0 l1 J2 h) t* ~& {' d* F4 F
122. Twenty years ago it was common to see people _________________ from hunger on the streets in that poor nation, but clearly the situation has improved greatly since then. 4 V; K. [6 ^& X# {
A. calling                                B. preventing                 C. resulting                         D. collapsing 0 y9 V. F+ }4 }9 T) G
123. After a long period of regular exercise, I now ____________ much less than I used to.
6 {9 B" J- i3 J9 ~A. weigh                          B. like                         C. grow                                 D. increase
# j! m& Z$ {8 \! c4 l) ?0 [# G, e% p124. She had to __________ several times a night when her baby was ill.
6 I, T/ v* w6 J, t4 N& ~7 DA. call out                           B. get ahead                 C. wake up                         D. come to
0 U3 P" N! P. W2 O' f4 ~) w: K125. When you're in Paris you can't help being ________ of the way the streets are kept clean.
. ]' ]2 N2 q% f: Q. C+ A( t8 S           A. effective                         B. relaxed                 C. conscious                         D. obvious
" N5 M6 W5 A# l* w. R! Y: Z( P; J126. The book offers some advice about how to make a good ________ at job interviews.
* n8 Z+ p! O$ L1 b% h           A. attitude                         B. appearance         C. effect                                 D. impression
( e5 ^6 L- W* `/ N# K) w127. He was a good worker who was ________ to his family as well as to his work.
* I, g! d2 \7 {" y           A. consistent                        B. committed                 C. content                         D. engaged
& N/ ^$ d/ M- b* {+ c# A128. It is very difficult for the time being to ________ how much money is needed.
5 ], o! A# C- F4 f; i9 x           A. account                         B. assume                 C. ranges                         D. estimate & `5 ]( @! y: e% _1 N
129. The teacher praised and rewarded the good ________ of his students in class.
8 q( [3 U+ p" \* r6 R           A. status                         B. behaviour                 C. function                         D. signal 4 r+ z* i9 y# x) P1 ~: u0 E6 U) p
130. We must ________ our attention on the question of reducing our cost.
( T, }* m* {- `7 t' a$ G+ w3 ]( i% a           A. pay                                 B. focus                         C. absorb                         D. promote : Y. T6 D4 p; b$ v5 k
131. It is said that ________ to the plan so far have been positive.
3 N1 M' X* X, b+ e: ~6 H( W           A. reactions                         B. views                        C. ideas                                 D. opinions
$ G6 W+ A: L$ @$ @8 x- z& o132. Have you ever noticed that Jack always ________ a picture of quiet self-worth?
* b) B2 }2 c5 D7 C" N- }           A. impresses                         B. focuses                 C. projects                         D. communicates ; q. F. ^4 s5 y- E* `* o  a
133. We also use other forms of communication ________ we may be aware or unaware. ) F  o5 Q5 i  ^* k$ Z  U# s# d
           A. to which                         B. of which                 C. which                         D. that : q. ]2 v# k9 V* Z8 V
134. The train was ________ slow I was almost two hours late.
2 P7 l  S0 P2 C! ~; U5 Q6 W           A. so                                 B. such                         C. very                                 D. that
- c0 ^9 v6 b1 f5 }$ r; r* a3 w135. Just imagine Mary ________ in her favorite chair back home.
- w" Y0 \5 s. Y0 }7 y" |           A. to sit                                 B. sit                         C. sitting                         D. has been sat
9 s. o1 G+ O' v  Y" z: |$ d136. Mr. Thomas found the coins while ________ in his back garden.
& z; \5 n! E, ?& P: `           A. digging                         B. was digging         C. dug                                 D. being digging
3 L8 n$ L; y* O5 l& p137. Snap judgments, if ________, have usually been considered signs of immaturity or lack of common sense.
8 F' j7 @3 I) U7 x5 R: H% b           A. taking seriously         B. taken seriously         C. take seriously                 D. to be taken seriously ) E! w4 C# ^# ]) m0 k
138. I'd offer to give you a lift if I ________ my car here. $ g3 K/ e% p7 w% V- k
           A. have                                 B. am having                 C. do have                         D. had
) j0 }# r: a; P- z. S139. ________ speech is the most obvious form of communication, we do use other forms to communicate. - p+ t, m7 g0 Y4 }) L1 z
           A. Since                                 B. When                 C. While                         D. As
, s6 `' `( x+ s% c3 q9 _: d140. Being with his family for a few days I gained one or two insights ________ the reason he behaves the way he does. % ?4 R; A" e& [
           A. into                                 B. of                         C. on                                 D. off
, B5 C, M7 O1 K1 }5 I' h) f141. Robin thought that the best _______ to learning a foreign language is the study of the spoken language.
. v" Q* t* c8 J2 [, H: `           A. method                         B. way                         C. means                         D. approach
  j1 h4 D9 l  B& E" L2 R. w3 Q142. Listening, speaking, reading, and then writing _______ the basic order in language learning. - @6 ]& j0 W- M6 _8 j) X; O" V
           A. assists                         B. constitutes                 C. establishes                         D. founds
2 i9 H& L; d' i+ c8 R3 h/ z143. If you try to learn too many things at a time, you may get _______. , H& J8 }& a( J% ^' X
           A. alarmed                         B. scared                 C. surprised                         D. confused
" N/ j+ L  z+ i4 e( {  j144. He's not got another job yet and it's not ______ he will for some time. 8 u' T5 L; W, _  S
           A. likes                                 B. unlike                 C. likely                                 D. like
+ A5 O( h  ~. `) C145. The teacher handed _____ books at the beginning of the class.
: p0 e  x8 W1 _9 D2 B: }           A. on                                 B. down                        C. over                                 D. out
3 f6 z% V6 Y! l* H146. The young professor ______ himself as an international leader in the field of mathematics. 2 y3 W. A8 \: A( N+ m& v5 }8 {
           A. established                 B. built                         C. founded                         D. found # X8 r- a8 M. @4 c6 `
147. His thoughts were _______ from the subject by the arrival of his friends.
# q1 v1 M$ z+ \2 E- j& v( ?3 U           A. attracted                         B. suffered                 C. distracted                         D. related ' ?' q' u$ R2 x; q1 i6 q( n2 x1 x
148. She is a ______ woman who is certain of her ideas and actions. - g" M( `& `! b( |
           A. significant                         B. aware                 C. confident                         D. intense ' C: `/ N# N. s6 d4 I. h7 U
149.  ______ I admit that the problems are difficult, I don't agree that they can't be solved. # L: A, d, M% A, K, _
           A. For fear that                 B. Because                 C. While                         D. Until 4 n& n* u' s- P
150. I'm going to spend the winter vacation in Shanghai, ______ I have relatives.
- m9 r7 L0 I9 v6 Y6 S           A. because                         B. which                 C. that                                 D. where # C2 A$ @5 x) ^# M' m' E' t

0 S$ L  k+ R  Q( r' ]0 Q5 Y$ X' W. t% t2 @* S8 n7 y
II. Reading Comprehension
5 y  w$ R1 o0 }+ A, b; ]/ yPassage 1
6 z( w+ B5 x( u( f0 J' h" X        Within about 50 million years, one of the mammals (哺乳动物) that lives in a marine environment, the whale(鲸), has developed into the largest of all animal forms. However, at least for the last 150 years, trouble has closed in on whales from humans.* E0 F$ A6 ^& c0 k0 M: Z# y! l7 ]& ]! U
        Whales have been hunted since about the eleventh century. Certain types of whales have been hunted too much. Recently, their number has been reduced so greatly that they are in danger of becoming extinct(灭绝的). People are worried about the fact that the number of whales is getting smaller and smaller. They are working to save them.
( s6 {% @' Y) ~' A5 {& D! X        There are reasons why people want to protect the whales. One reason is that whales help to keep a balance between plants and animals. People have been throwing their wastes into the oceans and seas, and these wastes increase the amount of salt in ocean and seawater. The increased salt helps some plants and some very small creatures to grow but these plants and small creatures are harmful to fish. However, whales are eating large numbers of plants and animals that grow in very salty water. In this way, whales are dong a good job as they keep the ocean water clean enough for the fish. In addition, because fish supply necessary food for many people, whales become our good friends which we want to save.
5 T0 h+ u6 \0 c0 ]1 O* O        Some people are now working to save whales by using the law. They hold meetings to ask fishermen to reduce the number of whales which can be killed in a year. They also work within countries to persuade law makers to make whaling against the law and to make the use of whale products against the law too.
; b+ f) Z2 g: A" E) h! y        Now this struggle to save whales is going on in many places in the world. Some governments will not let people sell whale products in their countries. Other governments have changed the law about whaling. Many people believe that since the number of whales is regarded as a serious world problem, the remaining whales will be saved.
/ p1 v, ^( {5 ^, s* K1. The passage mainly discussed ______.7 S3 K& ]) }- u8 G3 k
        A. the protection of whales
2 ]: f; g3 n  V& C! T        B. the strange behaviors of whales: i& f. ?& Q; i( s" \
        C. the mysterious life of whales
; c& O/ s7 z# u        D. the advantages of too many whales' K$ x/ T; c% V' m% }2 g% D- b/ s
2. From the passage we know that during the last 140 years humans have ______.% P+ f: D0 Q4 E/ a4 a
        A. returned to nature
9 J7 u( |  z8 C, l; A        B. learned how to swim* j2 G" o4 `: c: f1 s# v# P5 j# `
        C. threatened the existence of some marine mammals9 X# p5 }0 i4 @$ D8 g3 p! Z
        D. begun to harvest certain plants from the ocean as food  F7 v' \5 a$ V% H: K
3. According to the passage, certain kinds of whales will soon _____.
0 v' G$ h: X; r8 [/ D* Z6 T( e% n        A. kill most of the plants and small creatures        ( r- B* b3 S- C
        B. find some other places to live in
7 @7 D1 a5 O8 M$ M- x+ E        C. die out       
/ `% e& m$ \. L# [+ D        D. die form pollution
1 }; h$ ]) L2 W6 Q+ r* M4. Salt in the oceans usually _____.
* P3 J% j$ F* a; T) P7 L* p        A. decreases the plants which are harmful to fish
- `7 P7 P( \! G        B. gets rid of harmful plants and creatures
# ?1 @6 _8 z3 m0 u7 G9 H        C. removes the wastes thrown into them
# f: W# Z; n) Y( C        D. increases the plants and small creatures that do harm to fish( M! j1 X! i' x& }  a  U
5. Whales are helpful to humans because ______.; v7 C3 r, Z6 X' t+ C
        A. they eat a large quantity of plants and creature harmful to fish
" A6 k  w  e  r. r. {, h        B. they make the oceans more and more salty: `: h5 _. P. m, b- {
        C. they often save sailors lost in a storm
1 z* B' i( w0 G5 i5 w        D. they can communicate with humans
/ d' O  i4 n' j' g- w. j5 u
5 b/ _  }! z! j( dPassage 2
: E) l& u0 i2 H* ]% O        We have saved as a final set of emotions the two most important emotions connected with other people: love and its opposite, hate. Love can be seen everywhere. Yet surprisingly, love has been the subject of less scientific research than other emotions, such as anger and fear. The reason for this may be two fold. First, love is a very complex(复杂) emotion, difficult to describe and measure. Secondly unlike many radial emotions, radical love is generally not a problem; thus less medical attention has been paid to it.5 J1 _9 q4 Y) J0 s( h
        What is love? This is a complex question and requires a complex answer. Love is a strong, positive attraction and feeling for another person or thing. But it is more than this. It also involves feeling of caring, protection, excitement, and tenderness. When two people are in love, they feel drawn to one another; they greatly enjoy each other’s company; and they may be sexually attracted to one another.
5 _: k9 ]* N: Z, _- k        Sometimes it is easier to think in terms of different kinds of love: romantic love, brotherly love, and so forth. Though they are different in some respects, they share one important characteristic; a strong positive feeling toward another.1 \% [' F: S, a5 O0 U
        Our feelings toward other people are often complex. We may love someone and, at the same time, be angry with him. Or we may love someone, even though we are jealous of him. We might even love someone and, at the same time, hate for some precise reason.; [# C5 T% C$ {5 {2 A8 A; [2 h/ q. a
        Hate is a strong negative emotion toward someone, and is due to anger, jealousy, or some other factor. Like love, hate can be a very strong emotion. It can also be very dangerous. The question is often asked, “Is it bad to hate?” The best answer is probably “sometimes yes and sometimes no.” Usually hate does not help us; it makes us feel unhappy and makes us do things that may hurt others. However, sometimes it may be necessary to hate and hurt someone in order to protect loved ones.
7 z- |$ F1 x7 f# D1. The word “saved” in the first sentence of this passage means ______.8 h3 C' W$ ^6 y
        A. left                        B. relaxed                C. set free                D. kept up
% ^+ |1 s6 y3 C. ~- x2. Love is a lasting, strong, positive attraction and feeling for another person or thing, the very opposite emotion of which is ______.- m7 U; c! k) h6 H0 D. J" R
        A. anger                        B. fear                        C. jealousy                D. hate
! r0 V9 P' w4 i2 y) n- Q5 e3. Which characteristic is shared by different kinds of love?! o0 U# q3 a1 R8 T
        A. A strong negative emotion toward someone.$ @5 D& x- b& C0 |
        B. A strong positive feeling toward another.6 ?/ `2 F9 Y) _0 Y) n# D+ E0 j
        C. Unhappy feeling toward someone.
, L5 T* x+ q  @        D. Jealous feeling toward someone.* i4 T$ e- F% u; [+ {* Y0 s, Z, C
4. According to the passage, hate is caused by ______.
" ^% f  Y8 D, f& S, y        A. anger, jealousy or some other factors
5 F7 U- j! [7 `        B. anger, danger and hurt: z. C1 X2 q, [4 c1 y; `  K; A
        C. caring, protection, excitement and tenderness
2 F9 t- k1 ~: @' l( E        D. complex, strong positive emotion4 L7 u9 n4 D8 x' ?' d
5. Which of the following is true?
. |8 @: c2 t) x5 T' s; M        A. Love has been the subject of less scientific research because it is too simple an emotion.$ I, _0 f) [5 _& E1 `' D8 [5 l/ O5 k0 P
                B. Radical love is so difficult to describe and measure that less medical attention has been paid to it.
! j- v2 ^/ V+ _4 n6 p7 h: F6 V        C. To hate is always too bad.2 n' p' p0 z& J
        D. We can have at the same time two opposite feelings for another.
5 t* P/ I' @' R1 M# _$ H0 E4 h* S3 z: D! a# I; J8 G/ B
Passage 3
; I% P. y9 c$ o! @Mrs. Wilson, a Cree Indian in her sixties, was looking for a home to rent. She heard that one was available in an ideal location, close to the Calgary core.
7 ?; j: y: o$ D! Y, M4 [' z0 A$ vMrs. Wilson and her daughters went to look at the house. Sure enough, there was a “For Rent” sign in the window. A woman next door told them that the owner was Antonio Pompei, who owned a bakery (面包房) farther up the street.
! z1 `3 _' d# z: ^& n$ q Mrs. Wilson has great difficulty walking for she is almost blind, so she waited in the car while her daughters went along to the bakery. The daughters met Mr. Pompei, who agreed to rent the house. However, the daughters wanted to see the inside of the house before they agreed to rent it. One of the bakery employees went with them to the house, where he met Mrs. Wilson. All three women liked the house and returned to the bakery to tell Mr. Pompei that they would rent it.2 q! K2 u) |9 U$ A  s7 I: |4 j2 A
When Mr. Pompei saw Mrs. Wilson, he quickly walked out of the bakery. He had not realized Mrs. Wilson was Indian. Her daughters look more like their father, who is of a different ethnic origin (种族根源). The next day, Mrs. Wilson and her daughters returned to the bakery in an attempt to rent the house. Because of her blindness, Mr. Wilson was helped out of the car and guided into the bakery by one of her daughters. Mr. Pompei told the women that the house was already rented.1 M: g' b- I/ A. G
The Wilsons suspected discrimination (歧视). As soon as they got home, Mrs. Wilson phoned Mr. Pompei, without identifying herself, and asked about the house. He said it was still available. When Mrs. Wilson identified herself, Mr. Pompei lost his temper.; ?3 M' S3 I6 o4 W0 v7 d5 O" i) M
Mrs. Wilson complained to the Human Rights Commission. Their examination discovered that the tenants (房客) who did rent the house had not even seen it at the time when Mrs. Wilson visited it. They applied to rent it a full week after Mrs. Wilson had applied.$ c$ U/ f  G9 d7 l+ _- U" l* G
1. We know from the passage that Mrs. Wilson was _____.
) H( Y9 z* j9 h6 l; {7 i4 x* kA. to rent the house for her daughters. s/ Z' V- H. x  I6 ^& T
B. to rent the house for someone else. @/ Q( P$ |+ ~' Y6 b
C. to rent the house for her family
, a( q0 C5 `) s1 ?* ED. to sublet (转出租) the house4 Z' u  o* ?. \  B& O; l4 g, v: i! Y
2. From the passage we are certain that Mr. Wilson was _____.
& d* u4 e4 `2 ^! `A. an Indian              B. not an Indian* S$ Y$ K4 {2 |: u* h
C. an Asian              D. from India
3 q% w  u* t, G; j  X3. Mrs. Wilson found there was some discrimination on the part of Mr. Pompei by _____.
4 u. L0 E5 Y/ jA. complaining to the Human Rights Commission9 `) q' }% \$ a- n3 ?
B. making the bakery owner angry
" b" P9 o0 h9 k  [) [C. making an unidentifiable phone call
) p; t  t& @) o% L2 B& ~D. pretending to be a woman of wealth
& g# g2 K+ p! A! I+ [( L4. In the en Mrs. Wilson couldn’t rent the house simply because _____.
# W& X# }6 L6 B4 qA. she was of Indian origin8 {/ o0 J/ P( N. r# J$ |
B. she needed assistance while walking
/ v5 s) e& k: ?9 @! ^C. the owner of the house asked for more money$ u+ \/ V/ ?: P6 |' S
D. she was almost blind
( Q% @6 o1 z3 c) z- ~5. Which of the following statement is NOT TRUE?& \+ Z$ ~" |! I7 R* f7 y4 q, U
A. Mr. Wilson had at least two daughters.
4 ^% V4 d" Y9 l( `+ K" [B. The house had been rented to someone else a week before.* @+ {+ s0 [& O( M7 O* T
C. Mrs. Wilson was almost blind.
: g# a4 A5 H& eD. Mr. Pompei was practicing racial discrimination.
- o( c" p, v1 B% g0 i& V% X6 k
8 u" l4 p4 i' N9 m) K+ c- N5 p0 OPassage 44 H9 t1 |" x1 O) i
        Here are six questions about your approach to life. Try to answer them as honestly as you can.
. j1 e7 s; w* D+ {# w& i) k* q, _        Are you hard driving and competitive?! o8 H3 `% R/ v; d; Y
        Are you usually pressed for time?% w' `9 g7 h" B7 Q2 I& l, `
        Do you want to control others?
9 o2 x  D- e% L: y; E7 [        Do you have a strong need to do better than others in most things?
/ {. V; o: C$ I2 r$ O        Do you eat too quickly?
. [) e& A1 F  {& {        Do you get upset when you have to wait for anything?7 t9 J' |7 g2 f1 i( h! }, t
        If you have answered “yes” to most of these questions, then I can make a few predictions about you, based on a recent eight-year study of nearly two thousand people who live the way that you do.+ K6 g% ~" \) T: \4 w
        You likely find that life is full of challenges and you often need to keep two or more projects moving at the sometime. The chances are that you have been to college, that you have a management job and that you bring work home at night. You think that you put more effort into your job than many of the people you work with, and you certainly take your work more seriously than most of them. You get angry easily, and if someone is being long-winded(拐弯抹角的), you help them get to the point. You also have trouble finding the time to get your hair cut.
( ~7 o, {, L7 u( D; N  ]) z        And there’s one other thing. You are about twice as likely to have a heart attack as someone who takes a more easygoing(心平气和的) approach to life.4 q- E5 p8 n' F. i" M
        The beginnings of our hard-driving behavior go right back to childhood. In school you got recognition and perhaps prizes for being quick and bright, for being an achiever, for competing with others and for winning. You likely went on from school to get a series of increasingly better jobs against pretty stiff competition. They were jobs where you had to care about the results, where you constantly had to push things forward and get things done. In your present job you also feel some conflict, either with time or with other people. Some of those you work with don’t seem able to understand the simplest ideas, and they often put a brake (约束) on what you’re trying to achieve. The conflict may not take place every day. You pride yourself on being able to keep the lid on. But it’s always there, under the surface.. V; c+ o" K6 t8 S& N" Q4 l
1. If your answers to above question are “yes”, you are likely to______.
0 J; V7 B8 y" P5 O! k8 X        A. enjoy your food at dinner
! [3 [, Q' [! N7 Z; o        B. be good listeners
! V) l5 A0 P  @5 A) K$ }        C. wait a few seconds before answering a question
- q0 @; u/ j) R8 N# v        D. have more chances to suffer from a heart attack- V! F5 r. V, t2 f* Q* {8 r
2. It can be concluded from the last paragraph that this hard-driving character ______.
, M& H; ^2 E" H4 b4 N7 w        A. has been developed since childhood
3 f  L7 i" l' l/ F! I        B. may be changed by your experiences) k- m+ e1 \/ k7 Y7 g
        C. will place no influence on your work  N: w% J) W4 f/ N; X
        D. enables you to be a successful person
- {1 \0 ?1 D8 p% e1 W* s! E, a) Z# [3. Which of the following words is not appropriate to describe this type of people?& J/ n: G' t  n9 @0 N7 z2 b+ b+ m
        A. Competitive.                B. Nervous.                C. Easygoing.                        D. Ambitious.4 D2 H. q2 ~# w- ~2 J, K- E
4. What is implied in the last sentence?
! V6 V; d1 O6 v  [        A. The lid will always remain in place.
+ b* D1 a( [% e  o: y: q2 T        B. The conflict may occur any moment.; {* Y+ I/ O: L: U
        C. The situation is always under your control.) X0 A1 U/ x& I. Z. s$ ]6 e
        D. You are able to solve the problem.
% V$ D) a& \9 G+ S5. The main idea of the passage is ______.
1 L# _+ N1 Y- ~6 e; _( J        A. why competitive people are more likely to succeed in their career+ N& t% c# F! T# Z* t2 _) B
        B. how people can relax themselves
" k' P9 B2 g* F' ~        C. why hard-driving people are likely to have a heart attack2 {* @( _+ Z/ |  u; a4 B2 c0 L
        D. how personality affects your attitude toward life
% h- Q7 |8 E: p/ C: i/ Y
$ ~; L5 I7 j) `, b" G7 T' yPassage 56 U( U$ `6 \7 @; I
        Throughout July 1945, the Japanese mainland, from Tokyo on Honshu northward to the coast of Hokkaido, were bombed as if an invasion were about to take place. In fact, something far more threatening was at hand, as the Americans were telling Stalin at Potsdam.
- u# h, t8 _% ^& b        In 1939 physicists in the United States had learned of experiments in Germany demonstrating the possibility of atomic power and understood the potential damage of an atomic bomb. On August 2, 1939, Albert Einstein warned President Roosevelt of the danger of Nazi Germany’s advanced in development of the atomic bomb. Eventually, the U. S. Office of Scientific Research and Development was created in June 1941 and given combined responsibility with the war department in the Manhattan Project to develop a nuclear bomb. After four year of intensive research and development efforts, an atomic device was set off on July 16, 1945, in a desert area at Alamogodo, New Mexico, generating an explosive power equal to that of more than 15,000 tons of TNT. Thus, the atomic bomb was born. Truman, the new U. S. president, believed that this terrible object might be used to defeat Japan in a way less costly of U. S. lives than a conventional invasion of the Japanese homeland. Japan’s unsatisfactory response to the Allies’ Potsdam Declaration decided the matter.
% a3 Y2 C  j' V4 N        On August 6, 1945, an atomic bomb carried form Tinian Island in the Marianas in a specially equipped B-29 was dropped on Hiroshima, at the southern end of Honshu. The combined heat and blast destroyed everything in the explosion’s immediate neighborhood, generated spontaneous fires that burned out almost 4.4 square miles completely, and killed between 70,000 and 80,000 people, in addition to injuring more than 70,000 others. A second bomb, dropped on Nagasaki on August 9, killed between 35,000 and 40,000 people, injured a like number, and ruined 1.8 square miles.$ H' a7 l2 e" z
1. What is the main idea of the passage?
" ]7 \! V& q; ]9 f! f2 G        A. After four years of intensive research and development efforts, an atomic device was born.3 Y$ a2 d/ v4 z# s& O
        B. The birth and use of the atomic bomb to end the Second World War.- i1 v3 `6 c; a7 P/ G4 b$ M; u0 {
        C. An invasion was about to take place with the use of the atomic bomb.
+ K# Q* y9 x" R        D. An atomic bomb was dropped on Hiroshima.
! l% V8 B# ^4 ]* C+ F; v7 y6 c2. What was the danger Albert Einstein had warned Roosevelt about?
' e0 C2 [, n$ y6 e) {  R        A. The danger of Nazi Germany’s advances in the development of the atomic bomb.
  v$ A; E( c& q4 w6 [        B. The possibility of atomic power from Nazi Germany.
% _3 P' S# @2 T/ [        C. Japan’s unsatisfactory response to the Allies’ Potsdam Declaration.
+ ~+ `3 X# x# z: V        D. Destruction of everything from the explosion of the atomic bomb.
8 R& V, x# l. x# X- G3. What event determined the decision of the U. S. to drop the atomic bombs over Japan?; r, b; M; [" w( O# A) Y+ H
        A. Truman became the President of the United States.
& y4 A) ~. C7 V# H: Z        B. Stalin made the decision in Potsdam.
) Y. v( B+ m* X$ @        C. The United States’ triumph over other nations in development of the atomic bomb.
7 v& P8 Y7 Y' ]/ {" ^. j        D. Japan’s unsatisfactory response to he Allies’ Potsdam Declaration.
' L- ^6 Y4 A9 |7 e4 w4. How many people were killed by the two bombs dropped in Japan?
) C4 G* L8 L+ v* S; {        A. Between 70,000 and 80,000 people
) ^; q" S0 U0 V( a+ }0 r6 }        B. Between 35,000 and 40,000 people+ `) z1 |( R4 l) x$ s) P
        C. Between 105,000 and 120,000 people8 c. Q( Z3 L7 g0 [+ |  d- V
        D. Between 140,000 and 150,000 people  b0 W( F" ?& t$ O
5. Where might the passage be taken from
# E* B1 w* v$ {8 D" I) S* f        A. A novel                B. A short story% a/ U! H4 g% t% j% C
        C. A play                        D. A book of facts (encyclopedia)7 h% U! _* c# L1 w1 X( `

; o& l; D& g# L6 ?1 ~/ bPassage 6
. t9 S4 o0 q$ @- T2 YThe advantages and disadvantages of a large population have long been a subject of discussion among economists. It has been argued that the supply of good land is limited. To feed a large population, poor land must be cultivated (耕种) and the good land worked intensively (精耕细作地). Thus, each person produces less and this means a lower average income than could be obtained with a smaller population. Other economists have argued that a large population gives more chance of development of facilities such as ports, roads and railways, which are not likely to be built unless there is a big demand.
" g9 e( t" a$ `! [6 d- GOne of the difficulties in carrying out a worldwide birth control program lies in the fact that official attitudes to population growth vary from country to country depending on the level of industrial development and the availability of food and raw material. In the developing country where a vastly expanded population is pressing hard upon the limits of food, space and natural resources, the first concern of government will be to set a limit on the birthrate, whatever the final result may be. In a highly industrialized society the problem may be more complex (复杂的). A decreasing birthrate may lead to unemployment because it results in a declining market for manufactured goods (制成品). When the pressure of population on housing declines, prices also decline and building industry grows weaker. Faced with concerns such as these, the government of a developed country may well prefer to see a slowly increasing population, rather than one which is stable or in decline.+ t+ q1 T. n4 r; G% L7 y
1. The main topic of this article is ______.9 k$ g  W4 M' F4 u) V
A. environment protection
$ b; s/ e+ ?: T; K" T; \2 uB. population growth
+ I1 k( s: H) o6 H. ZC. environment and economy5 j8 p0 @5 A- m& v
D. climate changing
" n, n, N5 T4 c8 J! z2. The passage says that a small population may lead to _____.1 h8 v! P9 b2 A; ~! U, f
A. higher production, but a lower average income
+ b0 I( N" u* J, t6 i. qB. lower production and lower average income8 Z: b5 L$ R; o7 l. A
C. higher production and a higher average income6 `- a& I$ i" p1 n6 B
D. lower production, but a higher average income
' m, W* S2 J+ f, r7 G$ r3. According to the passage, the use of birth control perhaps is good for _____.
: u( q% U/ g; g" z1 M, t* @  D  v# p# jA. a developing country                B. a developed country
( L( \% h: {- X! IC. the whole world                    D. each nation with a big population
) I9 C% i* B' H4. In a developed country, people will perhaps be unemployed if the birthrate _____7 T; @$ @% y; P$ k5 |4 W# \6 Y" [9 h
A. goes up                B. goes down
3 G. [* x) r; c) q/ ~" ^C. remains stable           D. is out of control
2 i- R# g/ v6 }3 @/ J0 D7 {/ `5. The author is aiming to show that _____.
/ B9 D7 b$ c7 A# h' o5 nA. humans will run out of their food supply in the future  f8 I" x0 b: A. z$ Y* E
B. it is necessary for humans to carry out a worldwide plan for birth control
# i5 N. @2 z# d2 c  N5 P% J7 VC. different nations have different views of population growth
4 T& k4 q1 A7 d5 H( L0 R$ OD. we need to take necessary measures to prevent the overuse of natural resources.+ e- S: F+ e/ ]; \

8 n2 i$ n5 I& W: k( G: tPassage 7# ^* S8 v# j2 ~; z9 j# m
The smart job-seeker needs to get rid of several standard myths (不实之事) about interviewing before starting to pound the pavement looking for a job. What follows is a list of some of these untruths and some tips to help you do your best at your next interview.
% Q- E8 e% n" ]  y0 M  m  jMyth 1: The aim of interviewing is to obtain a job offer
% G0 w/ L8 Q2 D5 s' o% b4 g( ~' EOnly half true. The real aim of an interview is to obtain the job you want. That often means rejecting job offers you don’t want! Incompetent job-seekers, however, become so used to accommodating (适应) employers’ expectations that they often easily qualify for jobs they don’t want. So, before you do back-flips for an employer, be sure you want the job.) u, k, }  a- d5 `6 g0 S# C
Myth 2: Always please the interviewer
+ ~+ @4 k2 ]3 X, C; @. d5 lNot true. Try to please yourself. Giving answers that you will suit a potential employer, losing touch with your own feelings (in order to get in touch with some other person’s feelings) and, in general, practicing an awful policy of appeasement (姑息) are certain to keep you from success and progress. Of course, don’t be hostile—nobody wants to hire someone hostile. But there is plainly a middle ground between being too ingratiating (讨好的) and being hostile. An effective interview (whether you are offered the job or not) is like an exciting encounter in conversation with your neighbor on an airplane./ B% {# a0 ^! @" D* E
Myth 3: Try to control the interview
) c" Y' g. A/ ~0 A& c- r) P# _Nobody “controls” an interview—neither you nor the interviewer—although one or both parties often try. When somebody tries to control us, we resent it. When we try to control somebody, the resent us. Remember, you can’t control what employers think of you, just as they can’t control what you think of them. So hang loose when interviewing; never dominate the interview.
3 x4 u' t- c1 }* F2 eMyth 4: Don’t disagree with the interviewer" R- p. I4 g( @
Another silly myth. If you don’t disagree at times, you become, in effect, a “yes” man or woman. Don’t be afraid to disagree with your interviewer—in a pleasant and pleasing way. And don’t hesitate to change your mind. The worst that could happen would be that the interviewer thinks, “There’s a person with an open mind!” The conventional wisdom says “be yourself,” true enough. But how many people can be themselves if they don’t feel free to disagree?
; z( C" T! @$ i- N% y# R$ r: p7 E+ [5 I. w1. The word “myth” in the passage probably means ____.
# f8 N; m2 @+ S* R+ Y- W  A. mystery
; \" D' N8 ^+ O/ M) v% F$ ^: ]3 O  B. advantage
/ h6 Y! Y  R0 n/ o) u1 }  C. something false that most people believe is true2 B+ Z( O' n- u0 ?. Q3 R
  D. anything different3 y1 O# Z. Q5 U
2. An effective interview should be one during which _____.
9 m. p. C6 w' n& b  A. both interviewer and interviewee try to praise each other) T5 @8 p& W+ C# E$ R( S7 J
  B. the job-seeker succeeds in living up to the expectation of the employer
. M% a4 q" i/ a: D0 e8 u  C. two sides have a good exchange of views9 ?+ z: Q# W6 c8 N' L+ P
  D. the interviewee obtains the expected job offer  X' {5 s! I% {* g" {1 K3 h4 q' w
3. If a job-seeker tries to control the interview, _____.4 M* I& Y' o6 V$ p0 Y, w5 k! W
  A. he is going to win a job offer, [9 i0 ^+ W+ D' t
  B. the interviewer will hire him5 ~( q6 w% T7 D! F: e
  C. both parties are satisfied with each other
/ c" w+ f; a% e! Y3 M' @  D. it is unlikely for him to attain his goal
9 d. o& m* X; {4. All of the following statements are true except that _____.
4 C/ G# T6 N- Z/ C2 n5 p; s  A. a good interview is like an exciting conversation# ^7 }. ~' b' e4 T: d2 M/ p; F" `
  B. a job-seeker should always agree with the interviewer
" d0 e% [% V) Q0 W5 g' E  C. one doesn’t have to cater to (迎合) his interviewer’s taste6 x  u6 d0 C' m% p7 r% L) n+ z- ]
  D. it is important to be oneself during an interview
/ n1 p2 ?4 p9 _4 e5. The main idea of the passage is _____.! m# [+ `9 u+ _/ L- R" Y+ k7 _! l* f
  A. the way to think about and act in a job interview; |5 }2 R# q) L( D2 ]
  B. don’t be respectful of your interviewer6 d0 Y4 C+ O: U( i, G1 U
  C a good interview allows an interviewer to be himself; n! w) p7 d, j& f
  D. why an interview can develop into an exciting conversation! ]" r5 R" X' J  b" ~5 S. @
" |/ w3 E0 S# J/ z2 \, u
Passage 8/ R+ N" Q  s6 x9 N+ H5 N. ?$ X# N
        Someone said to a man, “Travel and see the world.” He answered, “Why should I? People are the same everywhere. They are born. They are babies. They are children. They are adults. They grow old. They die. They have the same feelings. They feel love and hate, happiness and sadness, security and fear, pride and shame. That is why I do not want to travel. I can learn everything here. I’m going to stay home.”
" I: [9 u* z) V5 O5 A. x        The man was right. He was also wrong. People are the same, but people are also different. They all have the same pattern of life—birth, youth, old age, death. But these stages of life have different values in different cultures. Also, while all people have the same feelings, the causes of these feelings are different. A situation that may bring happiness in one place may not bring happiness in another place.0 m4 U3 u# ^: C1 [8 e9 o
        For example, in many countries old age is a happy time. Young people in these countries show respect to the old people. In Korea, old people are honored and respected. When they are too old to live alone, they live with a son, daughter, or other relatives. When they become sixty-one years old, it is a very happy and important event. There is a big party with many guests. They receive many gifts. When people reach this time in life, the attitudes of their family and their community change toward them. Everyone looks forward to this time.
9 ]! a7 U! @6 Z& O        In the United States, it is quite different for old people… Most old people do not live with their children or relatives. For many North Americans, old age is not a happy time. Most North Americans want to stay young. They try to act like young people as long as possible. They even try to speak the language of the young. They do not like to grow old because they will not get honor or respect or attention. Also, businesses do not want old people to work for them. So, old people usually live alone and they do not have many things to do. Old age can be a sad and lonely time for them.
2 v6 g( s* a( n8 g( O8 p3 k9 ]+ g6 W1. The reason why the man did not have the intention of traveling was that _____.; [; s% b$ L6 v
        A. he thought he already knew about people in other places& |6 a; V2 Y9 U1 p, c
        B. he was too old to travel any more
& m' u! J6 s- g( V; X        C. he could not understand people in other countries since he was deaf
8 `; l" h  K, O8 t# W' b9 F! @        D. he preferred to stay home to enjoy his leisure time
+ p4 r+ j! O  n/ a. E5 Z2. Which of the following statements is NOT true?4 _( `4 B/ H9 N# K2 d
        A. People all over the world are the same, but they are also different.$ i" `5 ?5 j/ f- u
        B. Different values are reflected in different stages of life in different cultures.
' d2 X5 I, w# q9 e5 v        C. People react differently to the same situation.
" z% F( K" @8 U; I, _0 _        D. The reasons for the same feelings are also the same in different cultures.* Z3 C1 ?4 O% e
3. In Korea, people ______.7 o" R3 d: M, J6 l* V! r) B
        A. think being young is the same as being old
2 z& H- i$ m, h7 w& k3 K9 D        B. are afraid of old age
! E: Z& T; n# k7 T. I; O6 D2 G        C. are longing for the old age
: n) {1 X7 x$ }        D. value their youth most
2 ^' Z% i: z) m! U4. Compared with American old people, the old in Korea______.% K) c5 f: K! \. Q
        A. enjoy living alone and supporting themselves" q2 [3 O/ A/ ?' L1 @! F- ?
        B. can lead an honored and respected life
+ U8 d: b6 Y) X  F0 w3 j) Y+ D        C. can act like the young
# C: C$ E+ j" H        D. are not respected and do not receive due attention
, ]6 I( R4 N& |+ |5. The word “businesses” in Paragraph 4 means ______.* F! Y. E/ F( L
        A. managers                                         B. consumers0 k' r6 J5 E& ?
        C. shops or factories                        D. busy people
8 U- E& I3 D) ~/ e8 I5 {& o, q* H2 Z2 i
Passage 9& O4 H5 ^% C5 O7 V# Q. W/ u/ h6 N9 M
        One of the strongest reasons for the raising of the school leaving age has been that it will bring us nearer to the ideal of “equal opportunity”.# ~3 q9 k- u) \1 |7 t; e) R8 I( m
        Many people like to think of our present system of schooling as providing plenty os steps up the ladder of success for clever children. It would be good think that no one who is really bright can fail to become successful when the state systme is apparently so thorough. It is obvious, for instance, that many children from less rich homes reach university or do well in others ways.
* u# ]/ y: @5 X5 d4 T        Unfortunately, we now have plenty of evidence that many children of every level of ability do much less well than they could. For instance, during the years of national military service it was possible to test the intelligence of all males aged between 18 and 20. Half of those soldiers who were placed in the two highest ability groups had left schools at 15.
0 M! i( O) M, }, v* |        It has also shown that the percentage of working class chidren going to university is almost the same now as it was in 1939. One study of 5,000 children from birth to 21 years old indicated that up to half the bright pupils from working class homes left school when they reached 16 years old. Moreover, there is no difference in intelligence between the sexes, but far more boys than girls stay in education after 16.- D* j: o' K: E! r, q% S* D( S
        It is clear from this and much other evident that many children are still leaving school too early to benefit from the prizes—money, social respectability, and interesting jobs, which higher education gives. It is clear too that the reasons why such children leave thave much to do with their social circumstances. Their parents often need the extra money another wage-earner can bring in; they do not value education for itself because their own was probably dull and unhappy. It is not so much that they force their sons and daughters to leave school, rather that they tend to say, “It’s up to you.”: Z6 t8 K9 g0 N) \4 e( H
1. What’s the purpose of raising the school leaving age?0 U2 h. _, Q* i& g( f2 x
        A. To provide steps up the ladder of success.
! Y; q% u; d+ l        B. To provide children with the same chances in society.
) |" ~1 E- Y- J5 t' r        C. To give children the right to a better school.. V5 p. q- Q$ W
        D. To give children a more thorough state system.
1 g4 t- I5 s+ W; {7 D4 n9 {2. In people’s eyes, the education system _____.
) g3 ~7 G' U) I* g5 h! G+ G" }        A. provides enough chances to success for children
8 r! C1 }8 T3 s5 i! N0 R! L; t        B. misses no children who are really clever
6 c+ [0 N9 w$ j; A        C. only provides chances for children from rich families- G8 J- I% ]: `+ N
        D. does not give equal chances to all bright children
& L) o: S, t0 x' V7 |3. Working class children are felt to be at a disadvantage because_____.' Y/ \; Y! a3 T  T1 L
        A. many of the clever ones leave school early5 e/ R' J4 e0 E# e
        B. fewer go to university than ever before! N" }4 q* X3 R
        C. more than half leave school when they are 16- l+ n4 F. J& ?0 Q
        D. fewer boys than girls stay at school after 16" m; t( V! U2 k: K8 o! U+ W, D
4. Many children leave school early because _____.1 X* _+ ^' {6 k3 ]! F1 L0 g- M6 j
        A. their social circumstances make them unhappy
* H2 `( u5 ]. r  f. P# I4 y        B. they have to work to help support their family
2 X0 |, n, p. o- f% M& a) _        C. their school is a dull and unhappy place
/ P! I+ ]  P! q! M1 w        D. their parents don’t allow them to make their own decisions
) Y$ I$ ~: [3 i) z$ R. n7 ]5. This article shows that equal opportunity in education _____.
9 b6 G* r% R+ G  E. C) H# ^4 }6 t        A. is a thing of the past& h" w4 F  }5 T6 @# a' P6 Q/ f$ Y
        B. has not yet been achieved" G: A7 h1 `+ x! ]- H6 z2 f
        C. is there for those who merit it+ X* U2 y9 j4 o
        D. has greatly improved our society
" |1 |7 j& E; b& b& K/ H6 e+ Q6 o9 X% b( I2 C" F( i
Passage 10
+ `) G/ a5 O; r3 [        What you give your relatives, friends, husband, or wife can help you know yourself better. Also, what they give you can tell you something about ther personality. Most gift-giving (and getting) shows nothing more than the spirit of love and friendship. But it is possible to form some associations between the kinds of things bought and the people who buy them. Here is a guide to who gives what—and why.
. s) D5 ]5 F% S$ J        The clothes you wear tell something aobut your personality. They tell the world not only how you want to be seen but how you see yourself as well. When someone gives you something to wear that agrees with your self-image, they’re saying, “I agree with you. I like you the way you are.” Such a gift should be taken as a form of compliment. On the other hand, a gift of clothing that does not match your personality could be an insult to your character.
6 o# g$ v' r, Y# j, |3 p        Making someghing by hand has become the exceptiong in many countries today—so much so that giving a homemade gift is sometimes considered unusual. If you receive a homemade gift, you’re lucky. It may not be made perfectly, but it will show a certain quality of love. People who give homemade gifts may be said to be very generous. They’ve given time and emotion, two important characteristics of bing creative.7 ~: i" a0 p+ v' ?
        A person who thinks of food when thinking of a gift is a good example of what human warmth means. Whether you give a box of chocolates, a bag of oranges, or a ball of cheese, all carry the same message of comfort and support.
, |% Q$ n" H9 [  A        People who give books as gifts either like reading or would like everyone to think they do. If you happen to receive a large, heavy book, its giver may be much more interested in the way things appear than in the way they actually are. Of course, reading is a way of feeling the emotions of another person and of learning new things. Giving a book can be a way of sharing a feeling or a newly learned meaning. The giver is probably trying to say to you what the book said to him.
0 q% W+ l- c& |2 h1. The first paragraph is written mainly to tell readers that _____.5 U) ?+ W8 ^( D/ T) G
        A. gifts you give can help you understand yourself better
6 O3 |0 w- O1 C" Q        B. gifts should be given when you know a person’s personality
5 m  A' }2 I; q' E        C. gifts can show friendship and love between the giver and receiver8 p8 d8 `$ H- {3 I+ h9 `  ~& k
        D. gifts can tell something about the person who gives them) h' W  }) `# v: S8 v$ I
2. A person who likes the self-image of another person will give the latter _____.
' h. T3 X1 u7 K* d        A. beautiful clothes to compliment the receiver
- I7 f9 p8 z$ H% D+ |. u2 L* [        B. a gift that was made at home by the giver: O' b3 W6 K1 e! O; p) |# U
C. a gift that agrees with the personality of the receiver
% R  m2 {) G4 ~7 _        D. a gift that matches the character of the giver
  Z3 b2 s7 s: ~; B$ Q: o/ N: i! r3. People are especially generous if they give _____.
! s/ @5 P# X8 K7 w( g( d        A. a thing not found in one’s country
3 ?5 I" d) R9 J9 C: @" P        B. an object that shows warmth2 C6 D) P/ |! j4 i$ f$ v
        C. something unuaual
# z' z8 C, d/ Y/ I6 f        D. gifts made by hand+ @& Y$ m5 G" N0 ~
4. What kind of message is communicated by a gift of food?
* v! ?: b5 O1 n2 c1 d- L8 R        A. A supportive one.
- R# q" W' c* y, X  T, O* y        B. A generous one.
9 o# {3 J0 x9 k. l        C. A creative one.5 Y9 `& W1 W1 d2 Q2 @
        D. An unusual one.2 _; S% d- d8 C) v
5. If you give a large book as a gift, rather than a small one, it may show that _____.
7 G8 a3 L) A& j8 F        A. you enjoy reading very much and want the receiver to enjoy it too
& K) D7 P$ W1 N        B. the receiver is interested in reading a large book of that sort, L7 ]6 Q( X" M. G
        C. you want to share with others a certain feeling or newly learned meaning, ?8 r$ S( B- f0 y( s: ~
        D. you are more interested in the appearance of the book than in its contents.
$ f' g5 d3 J* K5 t$ e; T  _
" j3 o8 u- D! [" j0 O. GPassage 11
/ }, B" a4 J% N. f  b" x* h& A        Every two weeks, a group of Silicon Valley computer engineers does something a bit out of character. These slightly overweight and highly educated men turn into tough street fighter in a real-life, underground fight club. Kicking, punching and swinging every household object imaginable—from frying pans and tennis rackets to pillowcases stuffed with soda cans—they beat each other mercilessly in a garage in this bedroom community south of San Francisco. Then, bloodied and bruised, they limp back to their desks in the morning.
8 ~6 L9 v% f* F! |6 B: K        Inspired by the 1999 film Fight Club, strring Brad Pitt and Ed Norton, underground fight clubs have sprung up across the country as a way for desk workers and angry youths to release their frustrations and prove themselves. “This is as close as you can get to a real fight, even though I’ve never been in one,” one soft-spoken fight club participant said. Despite his resered nature, e daydreams about fighting with an attacker. “I have fantasies about it,” he said./ p3 B$ g4 ?; n3 P( \! g
        In recent month, police have broken up fight clubs involving teens and preteens who posted videos of their bloody battles online. Earlier this month in Arlington, Texas, a high school student who didn’t want to participate was beaten so badly that he suffered brain damage and a broken back. Six teenagers were arrested after DVDs of the fight appeared for sale online.
& G7 |! d: X6 N1 X& {3 A        Adult fight clubs are more likey to go unnoticed by the authorities. Menlo Park police hadn’t heard about the local club and said they wouldn’t be likely to take action because the fights are on private property between consenting adults. That could change if someone compleians or is sent to a hospital, police said.
$ G" b$ f1 q& v! T0 v) B        Gints Klimanis, a 37-year-old software enginner and martial arts instructor, started the inviatation-only “Gentlemen’s Fight Club” in Menlo Park in 2000 after his no-holds-barred sessions with a training partner grew to more than a dozen people. Most participants are men working in the high-tech industry. “You get to be a superhero for a night,” Klimanis said. “We have to go to work every day. We’re constantly told to buy things we don’t need, and just for a couple hours we have the freedome to do what we want to do.” ( k) l& i  E' d, v: e
1. This passage is mainly aobut ____.3 Y% R, u( Z. v" a6 R$ @8 g; a
        A. groups of fighters in the 1999 film Fight Club
1 c8 F( A  f7 x4 I1 n/ h2 N2 Y        B. groups of fighters in Silicon Valley
4 x7 V1 j; x6 }7 w& w* O4 D2 [        C. groups of people that fight against the police
& z7 ]9 n. _+ ~3 `6 L' o/ G4 Z5 O        D. groups of men and boys that fight each other
9 v0 D: w) x7 T1 B2. Objects that are used in fights include _____.$ t2 k+ z6 M+ g! y4 m0 f2 ~
        A. things that were taken from their garages4 t+ ~* r* I4 n0 P' q( b
        B. things that could be bought in a sporting goods store6 z( _9 r& J: i7 o3 r& M' w
        C. things that could be found inside their desks
4 e" ^2 ~* U% j1 a- o+ y: T        D. things that are no harder than pilows9 U- M4 ?# m  }0 E6 c
3. What fantasy is mentioned by a “soft-spoken” man?7 t$ }0 N4 r/ N7 A8 `
        A. Proving himself in a fight club.
5 D: ?+ k, ~% r  T2 F1 H        B. Being in the move Fight Club.
) O$ j- |! e- M  X+ F        C. Joining one of the fight clubs., b' [+ z2 ~2 l% f7 v
        D. Fighting against an attacker.
" }5 o9 g8 V3 {: r$ Z4. How did police find out about a fight club for young people?+ @% c- f. ?2 o( e' D* B* x2 {0 }
        A. The fights didn’t take place privately.- z+ j: b" Q( _- b& E3 b
        B. Someone complained about the fights.
* Y# R6 ?, h4 ^% Y& t1 v        C. The fighters advertised on the Internet.
* X8 b: L( M( U1 @        D. One person was hurt when he took apart.\
, S6 x3 s: d8 M5 I& D# p5. How does Gints Klimanis obtain new members for his club?
$ j: T1 A: {" ~) h        A. By asking people to join only., o; W' C8 G6 @, _3 Q
        B. By talking with software engineers." U. A1 L" D; U$ P- w1 r& |/ I; y
        C. By telling men they could be superheroes.+ @# G. W  M! R' W1 `, ]2 h  m
        D. By making it free for anyone to join.7 W4 H. P; J  f7 m
7 U3 O+ l; J, m* n
Passage 12# T: L0 T8 {2 K0 C" V+ ^
        As we consider what makes one man better than the other, let’s look at two examples. The first example is a man who has a good job, a healty body, and a loving family. His success is due to good decisions. He chose the correct subjects to study when he was at the university. Now that he’s out of school, he always schedules his time well so that he can get everything done at the proper time. He exercises and eats well, as he understands the benefits of this. In addition, in order to achieve happiness in the home, he spends time with his family and makes sure they all have what they need. On the other hand, the second man is something less than the successful person the first man is. What’s wrong with him?* F6 ?$ U4 l$ F; D8 ~, j% }0 i+ d, B- `
        Good sense is the ability to know what is true or right from what is not true or wrong. And some people might think that the second man lacks good sense. However, the person who thinks this is mistaken. Actually, since everyone has the same amount of good sense, the first man dose not have an advantage over the second in this respect. The second man has a good mind, and he has the ability to judge things well.' l: [+ j5 Z3 E" {$ U
        The second man runs into trouble, because he directs his thoughts along a different path. He considers other things, different from the first man. The problem is that he does not apply his mind rightly, as does the first one. Thus, he is not capable of advancing further than he does.
4 T) [7 G( z2 C( B1 g        When you consider what you want out of life, think about the results of your decisions. Apply your mind well so that good things will come about and so that you are not left regretting your actions.
  b3 ~; O3 i- h  }+ v1. During his university years, the first man _____.
# r0 ~+ \# w5 }: R4 E# z1 i7 t        A. scheduled his time to get everything done1 N( F( m& U" I5 c1 `
        B. learned how to apply his mind rightly$ v8 x0 W* ^, b1 l6 E- J' x8 |
        C. ate right and did exercise regularly
# w. b& i5 m# E* u; v        D. chose things that made him successful later4 M4 f. u: W+ P6 f* i  F
2. The first man is fully aware of the good things that will result from _____.
& S- n2 o( o+ X% @7 m3 N) g- N        A. making good decisions during one’s university studies$ @2 ]# }6 M, Z- J9 A; v8 M
        B. scheduling his time so that he can get everything done* v, z3 l* x4 H: p+ z: p4 u
        C. taking care of his body with diet and exercise
0 o2 R1 {: s! n- [+ o8 B, v        D. being a successful person with a good family life4 Y* ^) O( f, G9 R- {
3. One’s ability to judge right or wrong is called _____.
3 z5 }8 S5 G4 o! Z        A. beneficial consideration
* c/ T4 U; W9 ?2 u" y+ D6 A, \        B. thought direction
" Z) ]7 z8 n$ B! [- t4 t        C. successful thinking6 N$ A' q/ M7 X' L+ X
        D. good sense
; |; o7 ]! p: `7 m/ ~1 L4. To keep from wishing you made a different choice, you should _____.
5 Q5 y1 c1 t9 z% o5 {3 q- n        A. get more out of life
/ t% j# P- f- z" i        B. develop more good sense
$ \3 @: y* H/ C6 D  M' c% u        C. judge things right or wrong
7 u& I# I; p4 E( E        D. put good thought into your actions4 ]0 \7 s  S1 A5 j+ V# S
5. The main topic of this passage is _____.' ?( c- y2 Y# @0 S7 o2 G
        A. people are equal
/ n/ b5 _% j8 \) c' m        B. applying thought well will help# q  Q* }( c* h6 V8 V" M
        C. some people are not successful5 Y% r5 e: v0 n
        D. people must judge things well* W, ?7 ~$ @& A
# N: p1 z% M- N1 n' m1 ~2 s6 ~: Z: v" w
Passage 13
; b' V. j6 k& c) _  rOne of the most popular literary figures in American literature is a woman who spent almost half of her life in China, a country on a continent thousands of miles from the United States. In her life time she earned her country’s most highly acclaimed literary award, the Pulitzer Prize, and also the most prestigious form of literary recognition in the world, the Nobel Prize for Literature.
4 K+ Z# R1 c' _  R. e/ LPearl S. Buck was almost a household word throughout much of her lifetime because of her prolific output, which consisted of some eighty-five published works, including several dozen novels, six collections of short stories, fourteen books for children, and more than a dozen works of nonfiction. When she was eighty years old, some twenty-five volumes were awaiting publication. Many of those books were set in China, the land in which she spent so much of her life. 8 T' ]6 M2 z# ^
Her books and her life served as a bridge between the cultures of the East and the West. As the product of those two cultures she became, as she described herself, “mentally bifocal”. Her unique background made her into an unusually interesting and versatile human being. As we examine the life of Pearl Buck, we cannot help but be aware that we are in fact meeting three separate people: a wife and mother, an internationally famous writer, and a humanitarian and philanthropist. One cannot really get to know Pearl Buck without learning about each of the three.         Though honored in her lifetime with the William Dean Howell Medal of the American Academy of Arts and Letters in addition to the Nobel and Pulitzer Prizes, Pearl Buck as a total human being, not only a famous author, is a captivating subject of study. 6 y+ N$ S: _" `5 s1 R6 p# B9 v
1. What is the author’s main purpose in writing the passage?
) e( l* D% t% H* U* zA. To offer a criticism of the works of Pearl Buck.& y3 {7 d: R. ]$ u% }
           B. To illustrate Pearl Buck’s views on Chinese literature.* O# `; Y5 e: D2 d
C. To illustrate the background and diverse interests of Pearl Buck./ L: Q+ m; V9 b8 [
D. To discuss Pearl Buck’s influence on the cultures of the East and the West.3 R, a# S+ @  @/ \# [; C. x
2. According to the passage, Pearl Buck was an unusual figure in American literature in that she ______.
% r8 r& L- j5 j% E# G" G: hA. wrote extensively about a very different culture
0 |: F( m& m+ M2 j           B. published half of her books abroad3 r& \* A* ~& y* A- O$ O
C. won more awards than any other woman of her time
3 j4 Q/ f9 x! d8 rD. achieved her first success very late in life
: y4 X3 f7 A) p, n7 \& n3. The word “prolific” in Line 6 is closest in meaning to which of the following?0 o& V* z4 s$ C
A. influential.                 B. impressive.                        C. fruitful.                        D. outstanding.
; H# i4 c  j& I9 a4. According to the passage, Pearl Buck described herself as “mentally bifocal” (Para. 3, Line 2)to suggest that she was ______. ' g' g3 n: l9 D3 l+ U
A. capable of resolving the differences between two distinct linguistic systems
, T4 R& Z9 N# y           B. keenly aware of how the past could influence the future# l- D8 t2 H4 ?4 k/ I. ^4 F: n
C. capable of producing literary works of interest to both adults and children ! @! S! b: l' V
D. equally familiar with two different cultural environments: Q* p8 t2 q) X! y4 Z6 c
5. Which of the following statements is NOT true?/ X: O( H! [: L4 o$ W4 `7 k
A. All of Pearl Buck’s books were written in China.6 H* b' t' F3 u1 R0 {. r
           B. Pearl Buck won several literary awards for her works.
. d, Q- f- a4 S6 n( ?, F1 H0 @( \C. Pearl Buck knew both American and Chinese cultures very well.
5 N; r; Z6 `+ u& N- [, xD. One has to study the different aspects of Pearl Buck in order to understand her well.$ Q; }4 G) W7 L1 ?
- j8 {* d( d8 y$ @3 Y
Passage 14
! M# P, Y# r/ x* t) `- B& R" E; V$ WChildren have their own rules in playing games. They seldom need a referee(裁判) and rarely trouble to keep scores. They don’t care much about who wins or loses, and it doesn’t seem to worry them if the game is not finished. Yet, they like games that depend a lot on luck, so that their personal abilities cannot be directly compared. They also enjoy games that move in stages, in which each stage, the choosing of leaders, the picking-up of sides, or the determining of which side shall start, is almost a game in itself.! W$ y; t: f# h# R: C/ W& n4 K
Grown-ups can hardly find children’s games exciting, and they often feel puzzled at why their kids play such simple games again and again. However, it is found that a child plays games for very important reasons. He can be a good player without having to think whether he is a popular person, and he can find himself being a useful partner to someone of whom he is ordinarily afraid. He becomes a leader when it comes to his turn. He can be confident, too, in particular games, that it is his place to give orders, to pretend to be dead, to throw a ball actually at someone, or to kiss someone he has caught.
7 b5 A9 G( ^( S! q' RIt appears to us that when children play a game they imagine a situation under their control. Everyone knows the rules, and more importantly, everyone plays according to the rules. Those rules may be childish, but they make sure that every child has a chance to win.
* V- c" r1 @& B  R7 L3 Y1. What is true about children when they play games?
! B$ g8 \1 n- }6 _3 y2 l% |, Y1 S       A. They can stop playing any time they like.
" L" f: R) N: c  k: l, b% `+ n       B. They can test their personal abilities.1 p9 U. g' |5 K9 t0 O8 T
       C. They want to pick a better team., }) H! T! Y+ K6 e  l5 I
       D. They don’t need rules.9 P. u- j+ R8 C" A7 F( o" e
2. To become a leader in a game the child has to             .
! c0 \) U5 E' U2 l7 d/ [       A. play well                                              B. wait for his turn
' |3 r9 K" L- V" c8 D       C. be confident in himself                         D. be popular among his playmates
! ]/ Q, E* l, `3. What do we know about grown-ups?
' ]# H  O5 \+ @3 s4 Z$ ]       A. They are not interested in games.4 K; Y; @) R' K  I
       B. They find children’s games too easy.) f# ~. u/ N3 Q# `* ]
       C. They don’t need a reason to play games.
5 J5 }* P, E2 Z. u       D. They don’t understand children’s games.
; [6 H$ l" c) ]% n( @6 c/ Q$ O3 v4. Why does a child like playing games?! Q; F; L$ c$ m
       A. Because he can be someone other than himself.
( Q1 ]3 g, o. I       B. Because he can become popular among friends.; F, g' G" ]" a9 L6 G3 Y
       C. Because he finds he is always lucky in games.
" L1 D4 [! W4 D" [, \# w       D. Because he likes the place where he plays a game.7 n8 ~7 W' y6 [3 F2 F% V2 C. f: M
5. The writer believes that             .7 n8 e+ Q& {. }1 t" ?
       A. children should make better rules for their games.
3 Z4 l' q6 y4 m+ N7 g% A7 _       B. children should invite grown-ups to play with them.- T& S3 h6 c/ M% P8 X0 x
       C. children’s games can do them a lot of good
0 {! L' Y# ^: o2 _4 R2 ~3 c       D. children play games without reasons! j5 z3 q5 E' e" B4 X
  E, p6 {0 F. A8 x0 ~$ f" i  }& z1 X
Passage 15
/ p. ^# d3 q1 S1 RYou have been badly injured in a car accident. It is necessary to give you a blood transfusion (输血) because you lost a great deal of blood in the accident. However, special care must be taken in selecting new blood for you. If the blood is too different from your own, the transfusion could kill you.
% z' G& H. e6 aThere are four basic types of blood: A, B, AB and O. A simple test can show a person’s blood
0 D3 L) ^0 c& ~9 h* g0 W4 qtype. Everybody is born with one of these four types of blo
奥鹏作业答案,奥鹏在线作业答案
您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 会员注册

本版积分规则

客服一
客服二
客服三
客服四
点这里给我发消息
点这里给我发消息
谋学网奥鹏同学群2
微信客服扫一扫

QQ|关于我们|联系方式|网站特点|加入VIP|加盟合作|投诉建议|法律申明|Archiver|小黑屋|奥鹏作业答案-谋学网 ( 湘ICP备2021015247号 )

GMT+8, 2024-4-25 12:58 , Processed in 0.117508 second(s), 19 queries .