一、单选题（共 22 道试题，共 66 分。）V 1. Something that is （permanent）is:|
2. The opposite of （grief）is:
3. If two friends had a （quarrel）at a restaurant, they had
A. no money to pay the check.
B. a good time there.
C. an argument there.
4. A person who （seldom）makes a mistake
A. makes mistakes all the time.
B. hardly ever makes a mistake.
C. never makes a mistake.
5. The opposite of （enormous）is:
6. When the husband dismissed her problems, she （perceived）such response as belittling and unsupportive.
B. thought of
7. When we （realize）that the people we look up to are not perfect, we
A. don’t believe that they make mistakes.
B. understand that they make mistakes.
C. have trouble believing that they make mistakes.
8. The opposite of （necessary）is:
A. not needed
B. not honest
C. not strong
9. The weather report says there will be a ______ warming this week, with the temperature slowly rising from the 40s into the 60s.
10. As we headed toward the parade, we could hear the ______ sound of the band playing, even though we were almost half a mile away.
11. The opposite of （positive）is:
12. The opposite of （increase）is:
A. get smaller
B. sit down
13. If you get an （injury）while you are on vacation, you have gotten
A. a present for someone.
B. a lot of rest.
C. some sort of harm to the body.
14. Hiram taped sheets of plastic over his windows to ______ cold air from coming into the house.
15. He was promised to have an income of （approximately）a hundred thousand dollars a year if he agreed to accept the offer.
A. a lesson
C. something funny
17. Known as The First Lady of Song, Ella Fitzgerald got her start as a professional singer when she won a （contest）at Apollo Theatre in Harlem in 1934.
A. an award
B. an argument
C. a competition
D. a contract
18. Something that is （common）:
A. is very large
B. is strange
C. happens often
19. Malik’s sleep was ______ by the loud sound of hail smashing against his bedroom window
A. to dislike
B. to make
C. to have inside
21. If you are （uncertain）, you are:
A. not interested
C. not sure
22. The police will give you a ticket if you （exceed）the speed limit.
二、多选题（共 2 道试题，共 4 分。）V 1. This is the first thing ______ we should do.
2. It looks ______ it is going to rain.
C. as if
D. as though
三、判断题（共 6 道试题，共 30 分。）V 1. After being put in the sun and watered regularly, the once-sickly plant soon (thrived).
2. Whenever Mr. Fletcher goes for a walk, he (precedes) his dog. The dog runs ahead, pulling Mr. Fletcher by the leash.
3. The sweater has bits of blue and green in it, but its (primary) color is red.
4. In some companies, workers can (extend) their workday by two hours and then enjoy three-day weekends.
5. Because Linda is so shy, she usually (confronts) people rather than daring to face them and actually talk to them.
6. The natural (resources) of South Africa include gold and diamonds.