一、单选题（共 25 道试题，共 100 分。）V 1. Mr. Snow ______ $20 for the horse, so I $21 for the horse.|
D. paid off
2. As they ____ over their options, all roads eventually led to Brazil.
3. Many subsidiaries could be spun ____ to professional managers.
4. He had made noises advocating environment reform that ____ opposition from Mahathir.
A. ran into
B. ran across
C. ran about
D. ran after
5. Anwar was arrested, Mahathir explained, because he was a menace ___ public morals.
6. Structural bottlenecks bureaucratic resistance and labor ___ slow or even thwart reform.
7. But he also wants to hike the national sales tax from 3% to 5% and ______an income-tax break enacted in 1995.
8. Anwar was arrested, Mahathir explained, because he was a menace ___ public morals.
9. Sensing this, Hashimoto is pushing liberalization on several ____.
10. Knowing that he had been permitted to study by Harvard University, he was too excited to ______on the phone.
11. The truth is that the U.S. has no choice but to step ____ to the challenge.
12. At each step along the way, economic pessimists warned that the economy was about ____ tumble into a yawning chasm.
13. Asian____ have used their unbridled power pervasively to compel their citizens to become big savers.
14. Scanners _____ discolored spots in sliced potatoes as they zoom by on conveyors.
15. Global leaders should appoint an ____ task force that would have real clout to deal with the problem on a regional basis.
16. Mahathir sacked Anwar in part because he ____ changes to that cozy relationship.
A. called on
B. called for
C. called away
D. called back
17. That _____ productivity paradox now seems to be over.
A. so calling
D. so called
18. Last November, he kicked things off by unveiling his “Big Bang” package of reforms to ______ Tokyo’s financial market by 2001.
A. make up
B. make over
C. make of
D. make out
19. A survey shows bureaucrat is the biggest barrier ____ doing business in Korea.
20. Instead, local magnates are objecting ___ the terms of privatization.
21. Companies are using computers to boost workers’ ______.
22. Put another way, the upshift in productivity means, remarkably, that rising profits, growing wages, and low inflation can ______as they have not in the past 25 years.
23. Cisco now handles 70% of the support calls it receives without human intervention , ______ the Web.
24. Companies are using computers to boost workers’ ______.
25. With suppliers so ______ , workers can fix minor hitches in the assembly process more easily and quickly.
A. near by
B. close by
C. far by