一、单选题（共 25 道试题，共 100 分。）V 1. Knowing that he had been permitted to study by Harvard University, he was too excited to ______on the phone.|
2. Tax cuts and creation of a social safety net should ____ a breakup of large industrial and financial groups.
A. be combined by
B. be confined to
C. be coupled with
D. be cabled by
3. Fiat’s grand strategists convened in Turin and decided that a new round of globalization was more ____ than before.
4. Looking further out, Gartner Group Inc. ______that spending on hardware and software will rise by about 8% annually for the rest of the decade.
5. President of Fiat in 1992 unexpectedly slashed taxes ____ what were dubbed “popular cars”.
6. As the Nikkei’s latest nightmare suggests, making the transition to an economy in which government ____ less and the market counts for more will not be fun.
7. Scanners _____ discolored spots in sliced potatoes as they zoom by on conveyors.
8. Many dispirited traders ____ out of the Tokyo Stock Exchange because of fall of the Nikkei stock average.
9. The answer lies largely _____ the now-pervasive use of information technology throughout the economy.
10. The suicide note ______the possibility of murder.
11. He would move from the company’s headquarters in Turin to take ____ operations in faraway Brazil.
12. Some economists _____ that the Federal Reserve had already missed its chance to keep prices under control.
13. Anwar was arrested, Mahathir explained, because he was a menace ___ public morals.
14. Economists fear political concerns will have the government intervening __ the stock market.
15. This was the first time the MOF had closed a bank since the end of World War II, and the move sent a clear signal to the industry that ______for the collapse of a giant money-center lender, bureaucrats would no longer support smaller player that can’t find merger partners.
16. Now the same players are dragging their feet ____ reform and defying political pressure to clean up their acts.
17. It would ____ not only short-term fixes but also measures to help shape the Tigers for a global economy.
18. Instead, there is a new business cycle, tied to the health of the high-tech sector. Riding a wave of technological optimism, the computer, software, and communications industries have grown at a pace far exceeding the rest of the economy over the past three years, helping to _____the expansion.
19. Scanners _____ discolored spots in sliced potatoes as they zoom by on conveyors.
20. ____ some point, holding this kind of conference is unnecessary.
21. The rising investment that sparked growth in Asia was predicated ___ ever-rising exports.
A. on the assumption of
B. on a line with
C. on account of
D. on behalf of
22. Now the same players are dragging their feet ____ reform and defying political pressure to clean up their acts.
23. A move is ____ in Congress to oppose U.S. help.
A. in the way
B. under way
C. out of the way
D. across the way
24. They looked so out of ______ , with their conservative suits and smart haircuts.
25. Small businesses have to depend ____ the health of large companies for their livelihood..