一、单选题（共 25 道试题，共 100 分。）V 1. Chief among them is the ____ need to improve the productivity of domestic industry as a way to improve Japan’s growth prospects.|
2. Knowing that he had been permitted to study by Harvard University, he was too excited to ______on the phone.
3. High-tech executives are also counting ___ competitive pressure forcing corporations to continue spending on information technology even in a recession.
4. A move is ____ in Congress to oppose U.S. help.
A. in the way
B. under way
C. out of the way
D. across the way
5. It’s a good means of ____ the students’ knowledge.
6. Some governments try their best to avoid ____ their national debt.
7. It is free market and it controls most of the ___ of savings to investment.
8. Now the same players are dragging their feet ____ reform and defying political pressure to clean up their acts.
9. He takes solace from the damage to his rival. “solace” here means ___.
10. This was the first time the MOF had closed a bank since the end of World War II, and the move sent a clear signal to the industry that ______for the collapse of a giant money-center lender, bureaucrats would no longer support smaller player that can’t find merger partners.
11. He was ______from his country for political reasons.
12. Higher productivity also means that the economy may be _____ of sustaining 5% unemployment rates or lower without triggering inflation.
13. Mr. Snow ______ $20 for the horse, so I $21 for the horse.
D. paid off
14. That leaves the conglomerate ___ the upper hand.
15. The company saw _____ rise 21% in the first quarter, despite a 1% decline in revenues.
16. That _____ productivity paradox now seems to be over.
A. so calling
D. so called
17. The children walked to the ___ of the cliff and looked down at the sea below.
18. The biggest high-tech downturn in the past two decades came in 1985, when demand_____ just before the introduction of Intel’s 80386 microprocessor.
A. died out
B. petered out
C. came into being
19. What has ___ the rethinking in action is the emergence of the two –tier economy.
20. Put another way, the upshift in productivity means, remarkably, that rising profits, growing wages, and low inflation can ______as they have not in the past 25 years.
21. Each has ____ new notebook or desktop offerings lately, and Sony’s not selling video game machine has come from nowhere to become a $3 million global business.
D. carried on
22. Most of Asia’s governments cannot ____ credit to needy local borrowers.
23. Computers are not the only capital _____ that have a payoff.
24. Economists fear political concerns will have the government intervening __ the stock market.
25. Now HK is getting ___ into the whirlpool.