一、单选题（共 20 道试题，共 60 分。）V 1. During his stay in Japan, he () some Japanese habits.|
D. picked up
2. Tim always scores () at football games, but he feels frustrated at each exam.
3. The new bridge will be designed in () with the international standards.
4. As the water () into air, the moisture increases to the required level.
5. She has reached the () of her patience.
6. When our university laboratory bought this microscope we were given a one year’s ().
7. The magazines and newspapers were () with stories about her private life.
8. After I heard that I took a deferred pass in chemistry, I was in a () emotional state.
9. Those who lost their husbands during World War II were () war widows.
A. called as
C. referred to
D. spoken of as
10. The film is about two men who fall in love with the same woman. It is a story of love ().
11. Since the water in this region has been polluted, it is advised to () water before drinking.
12. Wild ducks always fly in a definite ().
13. The whole experience is a () to him, which he would never want to have again.
14. The energy gained from the sun can then be used during the night to enable the necessary chemical reactions to () in his body.
15. He often () fun at his deskmate, who is undersized.
16. Because of the social insecurity, young children can easily fall () to criminals.
17. Teachers warn students that () to computer games is dangerous.
18. She is a filial daughter and () over all of her money to her parents every month.
19. Many student set () three hours a day to learn English.
20. It was clear to everyone that my father indulged () the do-it-yourself game.
二、多选题（共 10 道试题，共 20 分。）V 1. Workaholism is not always dangerous because ().
A. for most workaholics, work and entertainment are the same thing
B. The jobs provide workaholics with a challenge; this keeps them busy and creative
C. workaholics have greater energy
D. a lot of work can improve human health
2. The learning styles revealed in the psychological study are ().
A. deductive style
B. sensing style
C. inductive style
D. intuitive style
3. The present situation of city life ().
A. is totally hopeless
B. is still hopeful
C. cannot be improved with some measures
D. will continue to worsen in the future
4. What does the Western societies not value?
A. Individualism, independent thinking, and initiative.
B. Discipline and self-control.
D. Vicious competition.
5. Ventilation ().
A. is a system for moving fresh air
B. can cut indoor pollution to a safe level
C. can cause some diseases
D. is better done through air-conditioning
6. The ways to help earth are to ().
A. impact on it
B. read as lightly as you can
C. take as little as possible
D. put back as much as you can
7. NASA ().
A. stands for National Aeronautical and Space Administration
B. was trying to find ways to clean the air in space stations
C. tries to find ways to clean the air in space stations. He discovered that houseplants actually remove pollutants from the air
D. has succe
8. Refugees in the text refer to ().
A. Afghans, Mozambicans, Guatemalans, Cambodians
B. People from developing countries
C. People from African countries
D. Americans and Canadians
9. The UN definition of refugee().
A. is scientific and authoritative
B. is too narrow
C. doesn’t count people escaping from their countries for economic and environmental reasons
D. doesn’t count people who have fled violence but have stayed in their own nations.
10. Why do workaholics enjoy their jobs so much?
A. It provides people with paychecks.
B. It offers more than financial security.
C. It provides people with self-confidence.
D. People can get a feeling of satisfaction.
三、判断题（共 10 道试题，共 20 分。）V 1. They spend a lot of time working at their jobs and at home.
2. The advantage of the educational system in North America is that students learn to think for themselves.
3. The United Nations’ definition of refugee includes all people who have escaped their homes fro political, economic, and environmental reasons.
4. Mankind has now cut down half of the trees that existed 10,000years ago.
5. They work only because they have to.
6. They would rather work than rest.
7. The simplest way to help the environment is not to make it worse.
8. Population experts tell us that by the year 2025, the population in cities in developing nations will increase to five times its present size.
9. The Japanese educational system prepares students for a society that values discipline and cooperation.
10. The population of cities in developing nations is getting smaller.